Link extension

Discuss PivotX 2.0.x extensions here, and view extensions that are available for download.

Link extension

Postby Gooly » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:00 am

In fact I have two questions.
I'm looking for a way to manage links in the PivotX backend, rather than just adding the html code to the linkpage. I looked for extensions which can do this, but I found none. Maybe I overlooked something and someone knows where to find a possibility to do this.
However, if there isn't, I want to see if it is possible to write a simple extesion myself for this purpose. I never did that before, so it would be a nice challenge. The problem is that I either can't find any documentation how to do this. At least, not at http://book.pivotx.net. What I need is at least an overview of which functions are available for this. E.g. for database handling, for backend approach etc.
résumé: Where can I find an extension to manage my links, or where can I find a summary of options to write one myself.
That's the trouble with reality,
it's taken far too seriously
Gooly

Re: Link extension

Postby Harm10 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:54 am

I don't know the answers to your questions. But have you looked at the hook extension called Making links?
Quality is in the detail of things............

Want to change or update your PivotX site? Mail or PM me!
I can also convert your site to a Wordpress site!
Harm10
Developer

Postby Gooly » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:22 pm

Good tip, I missed that one. Tnx
Gooly

Postby hansfn » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:39 pm

Hm, I really don't understand what you are trying to achieve. Can you state clearly what you want to create?
hansfn
Developer

Postby Gooly » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:30 pm

What I'm looking for is a kind of blogroll. A place in the backend where you can keep and maintain your links and place the link list with a single tag in the template.

E.g. like WordPress has. (However I don't need categories particular):

Gooly

Postby hansfn » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 pm

Thx, much clearer. Actually, your initial description
I'm looking for a way to manage links in the PivotX backend, rather than just adding the html code to the linkpage.

was quite accurate - I just didn't get it.

Writing such an extension shouldn't be to hard, but you are absolutely correct that the extension documentation is lacking on book.pivot.net. I recommend waiting for the documentation, but I can give you some hints: You need an "admin" extension for the back-end "Link list" display and editing, and a "snippet" extension for the template tag. There are some snippets that have this setup - maybe looking at the Google Maps extension as a start? It will be some work since the docs are missing completely ;-)
hansfn
Developer

Postby Gooly » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:09 pm

A nice job for a rainy weekend :) And in case it won't work, I'll wait for the documentation. But I'll start with examine the Google maps extensions.
Tnx
Gooly

Return to 2.x Extensions