Gallery / Extra Image: duplicate image problem

Discuss PivotX 2.0.x extensions here, and view extensions that are available for download.

Gallery / Extra Image: duplicate image problem

Postby xzjia » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:38 pm

Because the images are automatically uploaded into folders corresponding to dates, that means if you fill a gallery with images gradually, the images will be scattered across the images folder extremely fragmented, and very hard to manage.

I end up seeing "image, image copy1, image copy2, image copy3" all over the images folder, and have no idea which is the one in use except to go through all entries one by one.

Coupled with the need to delete and re-add the image to edit title/description, it is easy to quickly amass tons of duplicated images only because the previous image could not be located for deletion / re-addition.

So I'm thinking that there needs to be features to do a combination of the two:

1) Delete the source image off the server should be the default action done when uploading another image (for Extra Image) and removing images (for Gallery), with a check mark to "keep source image" or "delete reference only". (or alternatively, make the extra option for deleting source image)

2) Organize uploaded images by entry id/name, rather than date uploaded, because it just makes much more sense, and the select image from server option should default to this directory, rather than root /images folder to prevent major time wasted just trying to select 5 photos from the server.
xzjia

Re: Gallery / Extra Image: duplicate image problem

Postby Bob » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:03 pm

Hi,

See this reply, for why it's really hard to organize them by title or category: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1225&p=6184
Bob
Lead Developer

Postby xzjia » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:13 pm

Good to know, however I wasn't asking for that (organize by category).

The problem is that when you delete an image from gallery the file remains on the server, easily piling up and unable to track whether an image is in use or has been deleted (from the gallery) or replaced by another image (from extra image plugin).

Just want someway to either delete the images completely either from the entry editor, or organize it better to make it easy to delete from FTP/Media manager.

Right now a image just doesn't "die" properly, you have to hunt down the body.
xzjia

Postby antony09 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:02 am

From my own experience I recommend Duplicate Finder - duplicate-finder-download.com
antony09

Return to 2.x Extensions