Blog Stats

Discuss PivotX 2.0.x extensions here, and view extensions that are available for download.

Re: [REL] Blog Stats (version 1.1 released 3 March 2010)

Postby Stingray » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:03 am

hansfn wrote:First of all, making a modified version of makeCategoryLink seems like the obvious thing to do. However, there were some reasons I didn't suggest that - the same reasons we haven't created the function yet:

1) A category link will give you all entries in that category (independent of weblog). However, a user link will give you only the entries written by that user in a specific weblog.
2) A user can have written both entries and page, but the user link only returns the entries. (Pages don't have categories so there is no such problem for categories.)

So to make it clear what you get from a user link a decided to include the weblog parameter. When we have fixed the user link, at least issue 1 above, I'll create a function makeUserLink (or makeAuthorLink).

Okay, I don't understand what difference the weblog parameter makes or doesn't make. Perhaps its because my site isn't as extensive as some others. I'm simply trying to create a link to a page that shows the entries a user has authored from the blogstats snippet.

The snippet doesn't count pages, so that point is moot for the extension's purposes.

However, what I might do, since the extension counts an author's entries based on included categories, is create a link that looks like ?u={author}&c={included cats}. However, I don't know if that would be any more or less desirable than passing a weblog parameter. It would, however, keep the output consistent with the count of the extension. For instance, we want to count an author's entries in three categories of a 6-category weblog. The link with his username, therefore, would only show his entries in those three categories (i.e., ?u=author&c=cat1,cat2,cat3).

hansfn wrote:The mod_rewrite parameter/prefix for a user link is "author" - see example.htaccess.

Yeah, I thought of this before coming back to the keyboard this evening and made the appropriate changes

hansfn wrote:NB! Never give a function a name that is likely to be used in the core. Multiple definitions of the same function is a fatal error.

I wasn't planning on keeping that in the code, at least not in its present form. I started with that as a base since I was just copying and pasting (and modifying). Thanks for the tip, though.
Stingray

Re: [REL] Blog Stats (version 1.1 released 3 March 2010)

Postby hansfn » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:12 am

Okay, I don't understand what difference the weblog parameter makes or doesn't make.

A PivotX site can have many weblogs - where each weblog publishes one or more categories. (One category can be part of several weblogs.) The frontpage (start page) of a PivotX site can be a weblog or a page. And so on. For a site that has one weblog and uses the weblog as the frontpage the weblog parameter normally makes no difference.
hansfn
Developer

Re: [REL] Blog Stats (version 1.2 released 18 March 2010)

Postby Stingray » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:29 am

Version 1.2 released.

As promised, isactive has been added. Entries and comments per entry author has been added. See my site (linked in the original post) for a complete changelog. See the documentation or my site for full usage.

Please Note: If you are upgrading from a previous version, some of the parameters have changed. The way %cat-link% is parsed has been changed, as well.
Stingray

Postby hansfn » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:07 am

PS! Both the (included) documentation and the web page still mentions format as the required parameter (but I guess it is cat_format / user_format). It is used in the minimal/basic usage and example.
hansfn
Developer

Postby Stingray » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:56 pm

hansfn wrote:PS! Both the (included) documentation and the web page still mentions format as the required parameter (but I guess it is cat_format / user_format). It is used in the minimal/basic usage and example.

hrmm, I updated the doc and webpage, but I see what you see, too. Strange...the rest of it saved. But, yeah, neither the basic usage nor example changed to what I changed it to.

I'll fix it (er, try to, again ;) ) here in a moment.
Stingray

Re: [REL] Blog Stats (version 1.2.1 released 19 March 2010)

Postby Stingray » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:23 pm

Version 1.2.1 released.

No changes to the extension since 1.2, simply completely corrected the documentation to reflect the changes made to 1.2.
Stingray

Re: [REL] Blog Stats (version 1.2.1 released 19 March 2010)

Postby verbaljam » Sun May 16, 2010 8:22 pm

I just installed it. Excellent plugin (just what I needed) and very clear documentation (important).
If you read Dutch, you read Verbal Jam.
Lack of documentation makes even the best program useless...
verbaljam

Re: [REL] Blog Stats - 1.3 (2011-06-06)

Postby Stingray » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:15 am

Version 1.3 released.

This release is a simple bug fix so that categories or authors with 0 entries or 0 comments will display a 0 rather than remain blank.
Stingray

Postby Harm10 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:41 pm

Is there a reason why this extension is not also available on the extensions site?
Quality is in the detail of things............

Want to change or update your PivotX site? Mail or PM me!
I can also convert your site to a Wordpress site!
Harm10
Developer

Postby Stingray » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:47 pm

Up until 1.3, I hadn't submitted it, but a couple of days ago (as with the UA in Comments extension) I sent it to info@pivotx.net (see my reply in that thread).
Stingray

PreviousNext

Return to 2.x Extensions