Extension: Sociable (including Twitter)

Discuss PivotX 2.0.x extensions here, and view extensions that are available for download.

Extension: Sociable (including Twitter)

Postby Logfather » Thu May 13, 2010 10:40 am

Yes there are services like AddThis, ShareThis and AddToAny which work perfectly if you want visitors to share your entries. A lot of PivotX powered blogs use these unknown of the Sociable feature. Documentation is lacking a bit so I figured I help out - also because I figured out how to add Twitter functionality to this plugin (one of the few major networks that wasn't fully included in the code). Here we go!

Why use Sociable?
It's easy. More importantly I stopped using AddThis in favor of [[sociable]] because you can easily integrate it on the FRONTPAGE for every entry!!! For example with AddThis I could not get Facebook to understand which title, link to the exact entry and description to automatically fill in to make it extra easy for people to share your entries. It was not a problem to integrate it on an entrypage itself of course but if you don't have a 'read more' link on a certain post ('cause you just want to share a video i.e.) your users can't share that specific entry! Now they can with Sociable.

How to get Sociable? (updated)
Get it from extensions.pivotx.net. The current version includes support for Twitter.

How to use Sociable
Once you have put the required files in PivotX > Extensions you can start using it by going to Extensions > Configure Extensions > Sociable. Here you can add a tagline, enable/disable all sharing links open in a new window and select which services to include on your site (ctrl + click if you want more then one). Simply add the [[sociable]] tag to one of your templates and you are done! Edit sociable.css to change the look and positioning of the icons etc.

Can I edit the Twitter output?
Yes! I was suprised with this a bit but you can pretty much change it into anything you want. In the code you see 'url' => 'http://twitter.com/?status=Must+check:+%title%+%link%' and the output (text Twitter fills in auto) is: Must Check: %title of entry% %link to entry%. Change it to whatever you like it to read, just use + for every space you want.

You can also edit the output of other services but watch the syntax! For example Facebook uses 'sharer.php?' in it's link while Twitter works with '?status='.

Live Demo
I use Sociable here on both my frontpage and my entrypage. Notice that when you share one of my entries to Facebook it picks up the correct title and description of the entry.

Suggestions + Extensions
More social networks and sharing sites will come and Sociable doesn't include every single one yet. If you desire a certain one or have added one yourself please drop it in this thread. The community will be grateful! :)
Logfather

Re: Extension: Sociable (including Twitter)

Postby Bob » Fri May 14, 2010 7:49 am

Thanks Logfather,

I'll test it, and put the updated version on extensions.pivotx.net!
Bob
Lead Developer

Postby Bob » Fri May 14, 2010 9:03 am

Bob
Lead Developer

Postby Kevin » Fri May 14, 2010 3:17 pm

I have added the new code to lacsap.ca and the twitter code seems to work quite nicely.

It would be a nice addition if it would automagically make use of a URL shortening service like goo.gl/tinyurl.com/etc. ;-)
BlogThemesExtensionsDocumentation • Support PivotX - Click the Donate button today!
Kevin
Administrator

Postby verbaljam » Fri May 14, 2010 10:17 pm

Hey, good work Jef, I'm gonna try this one!
If you read Dutch, you read Verbal Jam.
Lack of documentation makes even the best program useless...
verbaljam

Postby verbaljam » Sat May 15, 2010 4:19 pm

I just installed it and I like it very much.

My suggestions for further improvement would be:

- Automatic shortening of URL's (like Add This does)
- I would very much like to have an email and a print button added (also like Add This does).
- Possibility to determine the order in which the icons appear.
- Possibility to translate the popup explanation on the admin page (I did it in the code, but it must be easy to the average user).
- The explanation popup could be a little bit further away from the text line.

But even without this I consider this a very good alternative to AddThis (and not commercial)
If you read Dutch, you read Verbal Jam.
Lack of documentation makes even the best program useless...
verbaljam

Postby 10ysblokje » Fri May 21, 2010 3:11 pm

Hi,

I tried to use this extension, but ik get an error message:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function getDefault() in /home/vankan/domains/10ys.nl/public_html/pivotx/extensions/sociable/snippet_sociable.php on line 174

What does this mean?

Thanks
10ysblokje

Postby Bob » Fri May 21, 2010 3:23 pm

Hi,

The version of PivotX that you're using is too old. You should upgrade to the new PivotX 2.1.0 beta 6. It's pretty solid.
Bob
Lead Developer

Postby 10ysblokje » Fri May 21, 2010 3:59 pm

Bob wrote:Hi,

The version of PivotX that you're using is too old. You should upgrade to the new PivotX 2.1.0 beta 6. It's pretty solid.

Thanks for the tip.
Can I upgrade at once from PivotX - 2.0.0 to PivotX 2.1.0 beta 6?
10ysblokje

Postby 10ysblokje » Fri May 21, 2010 5:51 pm

10ysblokje wrote:
Bob wrote:Hi,

Thanks for the tip.
Can I upgrade at once from PivotX - 2.0.0 to PivotX 2.1.0 beta 6?

Hi,

I upgraded to the new version, and now I get this error:
Fatal error: Cannot redeclare initializepivotx() (previously declared in /home/vankan/domains/10ys.nl/public_html/pivotx/lib.php:79) in /home/vankan/domains/10ys.nl/public_html/pivotx/lib.php on line 4608

What did I do wrong?

I change back to the old version, because now my site isn't available anymore.
10ysblokje

Next

Return to 2.x Extensions