SEO - Search Engine Optimization

Discuss PivotX 2.0.x extensions here, and view extensions that are available for download.

SEO - Search Engine Optimization

Postby Bob » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:36 pm

Thread for the SEO extension: http://extensions.pivotx.net/entry/45/seo
Bob
Lead Developer

Re: SEO - Search Engine Optimization

Postby Schop » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:51 pm

Cool...I've been thinking about writing something like this _forever_ !

les grands esprits se rencontrent....
Schop
Contributor

Postby ilvalle » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:27 am

Hi bob, nice extension, I haven’t got time yet to check it in deep but anyway I found a problem.
On my website I am using two different weblogs, the content of those are completely separated. However the extension puts a meta tag called keyword in one weblog with the keywords that I used in the other one. This behaviour is pretty noise since I cannot see any reason to have in a weblog of travels keywords about a nerd weblog :-).

paolo
ilvalle

Postby Bob » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:59 am

Hi Paolo,

The extension inserts keywords, based on the type of page. On Entries/Pages, by default it uses the Tags that are used on that page. For other pages (frontpages/weblogs/etc) it can't use the specific tags for that page, so it uses the 30 most used tags sitewide. I'm not sure how i could make it so that it seperates the tags, because tags are never tied to a specific category or even a specific weblog.
Bob
Lead Developer

Postby Harm10 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:33 pm

How about making the configuration such that you can select what should be done on non entry/page web pages?
Select those 30 most used, select nothing, select a fixed string or select a fixed string combined with 30 most used......... ;)
Quality is in the detail of things............

Want to change or update your PivotX site? Mail or PM me!
I can also convert your site to a Wordpress site!
Harm10
Developer

Postby ilvalle » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:51 pm

Bob wrote:Hi Paolo,

The extension inserts keywords, based on the type of page. On Entries/Pages, by default it uses the Tags that are used on that page. For other pages (frontpages/weblogs/etc) it can't use the specific tags for that page, so it uses the 30 most used tags sitewide. I'm not sure how i could make it so that it seperates the tags, because tags are never tied to a specific category or even a specific weblog.

Ok but since there is the possibility to have two different weblogs I cannot understand why the keywords are mixed! From my point of view there isn't reason to keep them together. With this trouble all of them as me are using more then one weblog cannot use your extension, I am sorry.
Btw can you release a small fix that doesn't put the keyword metatag when the site has more than one weblog?
ilvalle

Postby Bob » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:01 pm

I'll update the extension, within a few days. I'll add options for some of Harm's suggestions (predefined keywords on frontpages, or none at all), so that the keywords can be turned off on the different frontpages of your site.
Bob
Lead Developer

Postby verbaljam » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:24 pm

I have a few questions about this extension (I have it installed)

I understood that when you don't fill in the keywords, it takes the tags. Is it good syntax when these keywords are not comma-separated, like the extension does?
Code: Select all
<meta name="keywords" content="adsense apple google informatie ipad macht machtsmisbruik pagerank toegang vrijheid" />

Second, Is it alright when the description looks like this:
<meta name="description" content="[[image file=&quot;2011-01/ipadknipsel140.jpg&quot; alt=&quot;iPad brokkelt af&quot; align=&quot;left&quot;  ]]Ineens vallen ons de schellen van de ogen, zoals de ietwat archa&amp;iuml;sche uitdrukking luidt.Het altijd zo bejubelde Apple blijkt een wolf in designkleding. De producent van d&amp;hellip;" />

As you can see, every article on my blog starts with a picture. Does that belong in the description meta-tag?

Third, I would like to fill in my own standard keywords for the frontpage (just like I can do with the description) instead of automatically generated keywords from tags. Can this be implemented?

Info: I use PivotX 2.2.2, seo 0.2
If you read Dutch, you read Verbal Jam.
Lack of documentation makes even the best program useless...
verbaljam

Postby Bob » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:27 pm

verbaljam wrote:
<meta name="keywords" content="adsense apple google informatie ipad macht machtsmisbruik pagerank toegang vrijheid" />

As far as i can tell, that's no problem.

Second, Is it alright when the description looks like this:
<meta name="description" content="[[image file=&quot;2011-01/ipadknipsel140.jpg&quot; alt=&quot;iPad brokkelt af&quot; align=&quot;left&quot;  ]]Ineens vallen ons de schellen van de ogen, zoals de ietwat archa&amp;iuml;sche uitdrukking luidt.Het altijd zo bejubelde Apple blijkt een wolf in designkleding. De producent van d&amp;hellip;" />

Nope, this is a bug. I will fix that.

Third, I would like to fill in my own standard keywords for the frontpage (just like I can do with the description) instead of automatically generated keywords from tags. Can this be implemented?

You're not the first to request this. It's noted. ;-)
Bob
Lead Developer

Postby Schop » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:14 pm

Would it be possible to add keywords and descriptions that will be shown when a user is browsing a certain category? Or am I missing something obvious that is already there?
Schop
Contributor

Next

Return to 2.x Extensions