Disqus

Discuss PivotX 2.0.x extensions here, and view extensions that are available for download.

Disqus

Postby hansfn » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:38 am

This is the discussion topic for the Disqus extension.

This extension provides Disqus comment form and comment count links.

Visit http://extensions.pivotx.net/entry/54/disqus for download and more information.
hansfn
Developer

Re: Disqus

Postby verbaljam » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:59 pm

Ah, this is a very nice job, Hans. Compliments.
But I would like to ask you if you could give me the syntax for a small addition to this snippet.

I will explain:

For most users (bloggers) it will be a problem to make the transisition to this new Disqus commentsystem. After all, they don't want to loose all the comments that were made in the 'old' Pivot system.
They still have to be displayed on the entry page.
That is no problem, I just had to remove the [[commentform]] tag as you said and to leave the [[comments]] on it.

The real 'problem' lies in the [[commentlink]]. I cannot simply substitute it with the [[disqus_commentlink]], because the latter does not display the 'older' comments.
For the time being I solved this by making the following construction in the comment display link:

<p>Disqus comments: [[disqus_commentlink]].</p>
<p>Comments in old system: [[commentlink text0="0" text1="1" textmore="%num%"]].</p>

Now, what I would like to do is to build in a condition here, so that before the date that I switched to Disqus the second line is displayed, and after that date only the first line is displayed.

But I'm no programmer. And for you this must be peanuts, I think, with if/then and more of that thingies. ;-)
Could you help me out here please? 8-)
I would be very grateful, of course and praise you in my evening prayer. ;-)
If you read Dutch, you read Verbal Jam.
Lack of documentation makes even the best program useless...
verbaljam

Postby hansfn » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:06 pm

Just export your old comments to Disqus with PivotX Tools.
hansfn
Developer

Postby verbaljam » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:19 pm

Hey Hans, you already thougth about this! ;-) This solution is even easier. Great work.
Maybe you should point to this Pivot Tools in the posting/documentation of the Disqus extension. I think a lot of users that switch to Disqus have the same question.

One thing I noticed: many times during the export process I get a short message 'failed to export because:' But there is never given a reason after that 'because'.
What's happening here? Or maybe better: why is it happening?
verbaljam

Postby hansfn » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:42 am

Yes, I should mention the possibility to export the old comments in several locations. (This extension was written before I had added the export feature to PivotX Tools.)

Regarding the comments that fails to export for no reason given: I'm working with the Disqus devs to track down the issue. So far it seems to happen with comments that start with "@", but that isn't verified. Could you send me an e-mail at hansfn@pivotx.net with info about which comments failed on your site.
hansfn
Developer

Postby verbaljam » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:26 am

Hans, I have a rather large weblog and it's almost impossible to say which comments didn't import.
But I think you're right: It could be the @ sign that gives problems, because there is a habit of answering with the @ sign among the visitors on my site. So if I were you I would proceed in locating the problem there.
Question is: will it still be possible to import the failed comments later?
Another feedback: my site had a fair amount of comments (many hundreds I think) and that took quite some time (more than half an hour I think). No problem, but maybe you would like to know that.
verbaljam

Postby hansfn » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:09 am

You can look at a thread (the comments for one entry) on Disqus and compare it to your site.

Currently it's not possible to just import the missing comments - you need to do a complete new export. Maybe wait for a fix of this issue before switching to Disqus?

Yes, I know, the export take ages - the Disqus server is slow.
hansfn
Developer

Postby verbaljam » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:48 am

Hans, I will have a look if I can find missing comments. I will get back to you on this.
And, a new export is no problem of course, as long as I don't get duplicate comments under the articles.
verbaljam

Postby verbaljam » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:23 pm

Hans, I carried out a random check and I can confirm that all the comments I found that started with @ did not import into Disqus.
So I think you are right about this.
verbaljam

Postby hansfn » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:31 am

The bug in the "Export to Disqus" function in PivotX Tools has been found and fixed - upgrade to version 0.9.2.

You need to reset your Disqus forum and redo the complete export - sorry. (I don't have time to extend the code to check for already exported comments - I'm kind of on vacation.)
hansfn
Developer

Next

Return to 2.x Extensions