Disqus

Discuss PivotX 2.0.x extensions here, and view extensions that are available for download.

Re: Disqus

Postby verbaljam » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:27 am

Hans, since I switched to Disqus a number of comments have been made in Disqus directly, so they are not in the Pivot database.
I guess those comments will be lost then?
In that case I will rather wait untill you're back from your 'vacation' and have time to still implement the necessary code. ;-)
If you read Dutch, you read Verbal Jam.
Lack of documentation makes even the best program useless...
verbaljam

Postby Logfather » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:48 pm

Why would you want / need comments in your Pivot database? Have Disqus take care of it for you?

I'm switching to Disqus with some PivotX sites soon as well, works amazing! Also see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2132&p=11850#p11850 :)
Logfather

Postby verbaljam » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:58 pm

@Logfather: when I have to re-import the old comments from the Pivot database into Disqus, I have to reset Disqus first (as I understood from Hans).
That means that comments that are only in Disqus (after the switch to Disqus those comments are not in pivot), will be lost.
Capice? ;-)
verbaljam

Postby hansfn » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:18 pm

@verbaljam (and possibly others affected by the bug in the "Export to Disqus" function in PivotX Tools 0.9.1): Since it will take very long time before I update the export script so it handles/avoid duplicate comments when doing repeated exports, I have made a special pivotx_tools/lib.php for you that only exports comments that start with @. This will fix the issue for you :-)

Grab lib-disqus-commfix.phps, make a copy of extensions/pivotx_tools/lib.php and then overwrite that file with lib-disqus-commfix.phps (that you just downloaded). Run the export script as normal. (Enable debug to get a log of everything the script did.) I consider the script safe - it will not create duplicates, just add the missing comments that started with @.

PS! I'm leaving on vacation proper tomorrow and will be mostly off-line until the 25th of July.
hansfn
Developer

Postby verbaljam » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:08 pm

Have a very nice holiday Hans! Thank you very much for all your hard work!
I will try it out asap.
verbaljam

Postby verbaljam » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:34 am

Report back: Hans, it worked flawlessly, all comments are there now. Thank you very much for all your efforts. Great work.
verbaljam

Postby Lxndr » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:30 pm

I'm assuming/hoping this is the right thread in which to post this...

Having issues exporting comments on my new site to Disqus.

It only seems to work on one page (http://www.lxndr.com/?e=22) but not on others. The reasons the export gives are "Failed to update the (url field) because: " with no answer after.

Note: I've left the old comment form along with the disqus comment form until this gets solved.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks!
Lxndr

Postby Lxndr » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:42 pm

Debug tool gives the following:

2012-06-20 16:34:18 - 11.449 -- pivotx_tools/lib.php:114 / _pt_export_comments2disqus() -- ( 7876104 )
Failed to update the (url field for) thread for entry 2 because:

Failed to update the (url field for) thread for entry 3 because:

Failed to update the (url field for) thread for entry 4 because:

Failed to update the (url field for) thread for entry 5 because:

Failed to update the (url field for) thread for entry 6 because:

Failed to update the (url field for) thread for entry 7 because:

Failed to update the (url field for) thread for entry 8 because:

Failed to update the (url field for) thread for entry 9 because:

Failed to update the (url field for) thread for entry 10 because:

2012-06-20 16:36:59 - 36.178 -- pivotx_tools/lib.php:114 / _pt_export_comments2disqus() -- ( 7872376 )
Failed to update the (url field for) thread for entry 11 because:

Failed to update the (url field for) thread for entry 12 because:

Failed to update the (url field for) thread for entry 13 because:

Failed to update the (url field for) thread for entry 14 because:

Failed to update the (url field for) thread for entry 16 because:

Failed to update the (url field for) thread for entry 17 because:

Failed to update the (url field for) thread for entry 18 because:

Failed to update the (url field for) thread for entry 19 because:

Failed to update the (url field for) thread for entry 20 because:

2012-06-20 16:38:10 - 6.237 -- pivotx_tools/lib.php:114 / _pt_export_comments2disqus() -- ( 7872828 )
Failed to update the (url field for) thread for entry 21 because:

Exported 1 comments for entry 22

I'm not sure how to track down errors that are just "because."

ETA:

another comment has been entered.

Failed to update the (url field for) thread for entry 23 because:

What the hell is going on? What's special about that one comment for entry 22?
Lxndr

Postby hansfn » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:36 pm

I wrote the exporter long time ago. Disqus might have changed their API (interface) so the code no longer works. (The reason you get no message after "because" is that Disqus didn't return an error message.)

I'm guessing the export works for entry 22 because it's already created on Disqus. (That entry already had a comment on Disqus, right?)

The problem for you, if you don't happen to have programmer friends, is that I'm very busy - I don't really have time to look at this now.
hansfn
Developer

Postby Lxndr » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:08 pm

hansfn wrote:I wrote the exporter long time ago. Disqus might have changed their API (interface) so the code no longer works. (The reason you get no message after "because" is that Disqus didn't return an error message.)

I'm guessing the export works for entry 22 because it's already created on Disqus. (That entry already had a comment on Disqus, right?)

The problem for you, if you don't happen to have programmer friends, is that I'm very busy - I don't really have time to look at this now.

That entry didn't already exist on Disqus, it was created during the initial export.

Sadly, I have no programmer friends. :( I have a smattering of programming knowledge, but basically enough to be dangerous, not necessarily enough to be useful.

Is there a way I can get my hands on the WXR that pivotx tools is theoretically generating? I'm happy to attempt to handle it manually, but the PivotX Tools exporter seems to just connect directly to Disqus and not create a wxr file. I might be able to work from that, assuming there's a file.
Lxndr

PreviousNext

Return to 2.x Extensions