Extensions for Dummies?

Discuss PivotX 2.0.x extensions here, and view extensions that are available for download.

Extensions for Dummies?

Postby AnnaDenise » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:06 pm

Hey guys,

Some of you might recognize me, as I'm the girl who has been using Pivot since 2004 but still doesn't understand what's going on ;-) I probably should have stuck to Blogger or something as I don't know anything beyond HTML and CSS, but I really like using Pivot and having a bit more control.

So, being a total dummy, I've been trying to install some extensions (the Twitter/Facebook/GooglePlus buttons, to be exact) and I just can't see what I'm supposed to do.

I put the folders that I downloaded into the Extensions folder on my server, checked whether the PHP file was in the right location and... well... then what? Only one of them shows up in the Extensions tab in PivotX, so I ticked that... but not sure what's next. I tried adding the [[ twitterbutton ]] tag to the place in my templates where I'd like the buttons to go, but nothing shows up.

Now, I'm sure all of this is quite simple once you know what to do, but I can't find a simple explanation of the steps anywhere. Please help! Thank you so much!
Cheers from Brussels,
Anna Denise

www.annadenise.nl
AnnaDenise

Re: Extensions for Dummies?

Postby Harm10 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:43 pm

If you download the extensions you should be aware that some of them have a folder with the same name in them.
The folder containing the admin or snippet or hook file should be the first level below extensions.
So no extensions/fancybox/fancybox but extensions/fancybox.
All extensions that you install have to show up in the extensions (or widgets) list.
All extensions have documentation explaining how they work.
If you have issues or questions for any extension you should post that in the extensions part of this forum http://forum.pivotx.net/viewforum.php?f=10. There should be a post for every extension. This post is also linked to from the extensions site.
Does this help you?
Quality is in the detail of things............

Want to change or update your PivotX site? Mail or PM me!
I can also convert your site to a Wordpress site!
Harm10
Developer

Postby AnnaDenise » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:15 pm

Hey!
Thanks for your response.

Yes, I looked at that, as I saw that in the documentation already, but none of them have double layer of folders with the same name. In fact, all three extensions look exactly the same where it comes to the way the folders are structured: A PHP file and a folder with hooks (called 'Hooks'). Weirdly enough only one of them (the Facebook one) shows up in the cms.

The documentation for all three of them appear to be missing, but I'll go back to the appropriate pages to ask about that.
AnnaDenise

Postby Harm10 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:39 pm

If you take extension googleplusonebutton for example.
After unzipping it in the right location there should be a folder in folder extensions called googleplusonebutton. This folder contains another folder called docs and a file called hook_googlebutton.php.
Refresh you dashboard and go to the Extensions part of the Dashboard. You'll see an entry like this
Code: Select all
Google 'Plus 1' Button
An extension to place a Google 'Plus 1' button on your entries and pages. [fast documentation]
By: PivotX Team, version: 1.0.2, last updated: 2011-07-02. site link

When you click on fast documentation you should get a popup with the documentation explaining how the extension works.
You have to select the extension by thicking it and clicking on Save at the bottom of the Extensions screen.
In this case it will make possible for you to use
Code: Select all
[[ plusonebutton count=0 size=small ]]
within your templates or entries/pages. Of course the first is more handy.
Does this explain it somewhat more?

Harm10
Developer

Postby AnnaDenise » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:43 am

YES! Thanks so much!
The fast documents aren't available when I click on it in the cms, but this will help me figure out what to do. Thanks so much!
AnnaDenise

Postby WillHaus » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:37 am

Harm10 wrote:When you click on fast documentation you should get a popup with the documentation explaining how the extension works.

I don't seee any popup :(
WillHaus

Postby Harm10 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:45 am

WillHaus wrote:I don't see any popup :(
What extension, what version of Pivotx and most importantly what browser?

Harm10
Developer

Postby WillHaus » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:21 pm

Opera, but I think I got it now (I was stupid not to check all the settings)
WillHaus

Return to 2.x Extensions