No idea how to start image gallery

Discuss PivotX 2.0.x extensions here, and view extensions that are available for download.

No idea how to start image gallery

Postby Joerg » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:30 pm

After a period for more then 20 years I will quit my work for the red cross. Til yet one of my tasks was to work on the homepage of our team (http://www.millereenborg.de). It's about our holidays for kids and youngsters during summer holidays.
This page is driven by PHP an was written by myself. But in the team is no one to update this PHP page, so I've choosen PivotX as an CMS system for theire new homepage (http://www.sommerfreizeit.de).

And most I've done, but there are two probs I can't solve by myself and I need help.

I'd like to show some pics (~100) which will show parents and kids, what we are doing during holidyas. I. e. like http://www.millereenborg.de/media/index ... menue_2013

I think the "Gallery Extension Docs" seems to be the right tool to show pics? I've read what is written how to include that tool into my homepage, but I can't understand.

So may someone could help me. If I i. e. have upload all images (named "reiten.jpg","basteln.jpg","fussball.jpg","kochen.jpg", ...) in a folder named "images/beispiele", where have I to enter the code into a page and what must it look like?

Help would be appreciated!

TIA,
Joerg

BTW: Is there an overview for pages that are made in PivotX?
And is there a site where the extensions could be seen as a sample that works? Not just as a document?
Joerg

Re: No idea how to start image gallery

Postby Harm10 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:42 pm

You could probably create this by using extension DirGallery as a starter.

I have created a special gallery with that: http://www.remark-webdesign.nl/page/special-gallery/remarkwebdesignen (I see that the Fancybox presentation currently is not working so I'll look into that tomorrow).
Some of the extensions are explained on my own site too (together with examples).
If you are missing a specific example please state so. Maybe I'll create a web page example for it........ ;)
Quality is in the detail of things............

Want to change or update your PivotX site? Mail or PM me!
I can also convert your site to a Wordpress site!
Harm10
Developer

Postby Joerg » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:20 am

Thnx. I will have a look at it, looks good and would be the thing I Need for the page.
Don't know if I will do it today or tomorrow (you know 31. 12 > 1. 1. ... :)

So, thnx again and "Happy New Year"!
I will tell at least "next year" (=this week) about my tries.

Joerg
Joerg

Postby Joerg » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:42 am

I was just a little bit curious, so I've looked at this gallery extension. Oh, and when I'm already there, I just can download it. Ok, after dl, just put it via FTP on the site to read the manual. Just activate it. Only paste the code through the site!
Fantastic, it works! Even within seconds I have my gallery and can go on! Sometimes I just need a hint to the right direction! Many thnx!

But (sorry) ... just one additional question. As you can see on the site http://sommerfreizeit.de/?p=test123 it works propper and will do everything I Need. Just the filename are shown as they are. Is there any possibility to show a description instead the filename (i. e. I like to enter the text "Wir holen jeden Tag frische Milch beim Bauern" instead "teilnehmer besuch Bauernhof" for pic 5).

Happy New Year again,
Joerg
Joerg

Postby Harm10 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:15 pm

Good for you that you managed to activate the extension yourself!
(I just "repaired" my page so the bigger image can be clicked again to start a Fancybox presentation..... so check it out!).

Regarding your question: did you read the documentation going with the extension? Through your dashboard you can go to Extensions and then click the documentation link. It shows you all kinds of parms you can use to embellish the gallery (e.g. iptc parms).
If you need help please don't hesitate to ask for it.

Harm10
Developer

Postby Joerg » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:16 pm

Hy (again),

yes, I've read the documentation. But it was useless to me. That may caused, because I've not read the whole PivotX documentation before, but there are may some actions needed to make the documentation more helpfull.

I. e.

I'd like to see for every extension a Website as an example where you can see how this extension look like. If not on a page, even just a hardcopy. I. e. I don't have any Imagination for "Add simple galleries to your Entries or Pages" - a gallery could look so different, what do they mean by "gallery"? A hardcopy would help.

A second point: when I look at a snippet: where to enter? In which file? In a tpl template file or even in a normal text (an article or a webpage-site)?

Third: when to copy & paste: where? Have I to enter in in the wysiwyg editor or have I to paste it in the HTML view of the site?

Fourth: "The variables that are replaced are": where to assign that vars and where? What vars are filled by System with which value?

All this points may too easy for people that are using PivotX for a Long time, but not if you're new to it.
I've searched for a book to buy to get deeper into PivotX, but I can't find any.

For a newbie I find the technic to use snippets a little bit complicate. Too less documentation or I just didn't find it very well.
The usage of PivotX is very simple. But the modifactions are not (for me).

Joerg
Joerg

Postby Harm10 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:02 am

First you have to realize that PivotX is maintained and built by volunteers.
Secondly it was decided a while ago to stop really developing PivotX and concentrate on a new modern and far better CMS: http://bolt.cm/
Nearly all development power is allocated to that project.

What you also have to realize is that using a CMS takes experience to get to know what to do when and where.
This goes for many CMS'es. You will always have questions on the usage of specific parts of it.

This being said.....

I can understand your wish for examples of extensions. We did that for all themes on the http://themes.pivotx.net/ (click on See it in action) for extensions this is harder to do and maintain.
For some of the extensions you can find examples on my own site
http://www.remark-webdesign.nl/page/chapsumm/remarkwebdesignen?chap=Extension_examples.
If needed (and possible) I can create other examples there on request.
The same site also contains explanations about the PivotX structures.

About snippets. You can put them everywhere that is the beauty of smarty tags. In the tpl and in the editor. Although in the latter case you could have weird effects when using a snippet with a lot of variables (and possibly html text in them). In such cases I always use the include tag and point to a tpl file created that contains all those complicated tag structures.

About copy/paste. I guess you mean pasting html? For plain content that shouldn't be needed if you use the wysiwyg editor but in specific cases the include tag could come in handy here too.

So the bottom line is that you first use a new CMS in its simplest form, study the samples supplied (like theme Skinny), search the forum if you have questions and if you do not find an answer post the question here........ ;)

And if you think part of the documentation could do with an update please do not hesitate to suggest it!

Harm10
Developer

Postby Joerg » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:54 am

Harm10 wrote:First you have to realize that PivotX is maintained and built by volunteers.

No prob. As I have done Holidays for kids and youngsters for years. Everyone is doing a bit somewhere ...

Harm10 wrote:Secondly it was decided a while ago to stop really developing PivotX and concentrate on a new modern and far better CMS: http://bolt.cm/
Nearly all development power is allocated to that project.

Certainly there will be good args to change to another CMS. But would it be a good solution for the CMS users to change from one to another over and over again.
Then I have to spend more time to understand the next CMS, even before I've understand the old one (PivotX). Are the databases are compatible, so that old entries can be moved or are they lost?

Harm10 wrote:What you also have to realize is that using a CMS takes experience to get to know what to do when and where.
This goes for many CMS'es. You will always have questions on the usage of specific parts of it.

Just right.

Harm10 wrote:I can understand your wish for examples of extensions. We did that for all themes on the http://themes.pivotx.net/ (click on See it in action) for extensions this is harder to do and maintain.
For some of the extensions you can find examples on my own site
http://www.remark-webdesign.nl/page/chapsumm/remarkwebdesignen?chap=Extension_examples.

The design we have choosen was selected by viewing the previews of the designs. That was easy. So I thought it would may help people to have a preview of extensions, too.
I just wrote my opinion, because we are telling the kids always "only people who speak can truly understand each other". Something I try to do most times ...

Harm10 wrote:If needed (and possible) I can create other examples there on request.
The same site also contains explanations about the PivotX structures.

Thanks, but this will cause to much work for you, if the project is about to stop. That was just an idea, if the Project was to go on. I had no idea that it has changed to a new CMS.

Harm10 wrote:About snippets. You can put them everywhere that is the beauty of smarty tags. In the tpl and in the editor. Although in the latter case you could have weird effects when using a snippet with a lot of variables (and possibly html text in them). In such cases I always use the include tag and point to a tpl file created that contains all those complicated tag structures.

About copy/paste. I guess you mean pasting html? For plain content that shouldn't be needed if you use the wysiwyg editor but in specific cases the include tag could come in handy here too.

Thnx, I will learn about it. But how long can I use PivotX, if the Project isn't about to stop? What about security issues? Will there be a date when the fixing will be stoped, so that it will be useless or even dangerous to use PivotX?

Harm10 wrote:So the bottom line is that you first use a new CMS in its simplest form, study the samples supplied (like theme Skinny), search the forum if you have questions and if you do not find an answer post the question here........ ;)

And if you think part of the documentation could do with an update please do not hesitate to suggest it!

Well, I'm not to shy to ask (for help or anything else). Asking and answering should always result in a better result for all. (But the thanks should go to the supporter (i. e. you)).

Joerg
Joerg

Postby Harm10 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:51 pm

Just to be clear: PivotX is not going to stop! There are still a lot of users around. The development has sort of stopped. So we are still bug fixing (also for security issues), accepting new themes and extensions and making enhancements whenever we feel it is necessary.
My own site is entirely build in PivotX and I am not planning to change that yet.

For Bolt: they are building an import script for your PivotX content (have no experience with that yet) but the structure is so different that lay-outs and extensions are not easily transported.

As I have some experience ;) in using PivotX most of the times it is not a lot of work to create an example page for an extension. In fact I like those requests!

Harm10
Developer

Postby Joerg » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:44 pm

Harm10 wrote:Just to be clear: PivotX is not going to stop! There are still a lot of users around. The development has sort of stopped. So we are still bug fixing (also for security issues), accepting new themes and extensions and making enhancements whenever we feel it is necessary.
My own site is entirely build in PivotX and I am not planning to change that yet.

Good to know, nice to hear!

Harm10 wrote:As I have some experience ;) in using PivotX most of the times it is not a lot of work to create an example page for an extension. In fact I like those requests!

Well, the next step is to add an Extension for a menue structure this weekend. I may have some questions then.

But after that, the main part is done. Then I have to look what kind of tools are existing and what would be nice to add it for the kids / what they may want or need for using the page.

Joerg
Joerg

Return to 2.x Extensions