How to learn to develop a extension?

Discuss PivotX 2.0.x extensions here, and view extensions that are available for download.

How to learn to develop a extension?

Postby luke » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:06 am

Hi,

I am a newbie who just know a little PHP. And I have used pivotx as my blogsite for many years. The flat files databases is the best feature I love, which totally releases me from the virtual-host related, many databases maintenance and, of cause, the costs of renting a database.

Recently, I am going to enhance the pivotx to support the real-time synchronization of my blog(after I clicked the 'post' button, the blog information also be showed on my SINA weibo) to the SINA weibo which is a popular SNS platform in China, like Twitter in western countries.

However, after I opened the page of pivotx documentation, it just briefly introduces four types of extension in pivotx, no more details in each part of types.

So I don't know where I can get to start. Other people's extension source ?
luke

Re: How to learn to develop a extension?

Postby Harm10 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:53 pm

Hi! There are 3 example extensions around that for some reason are not mentioned on the extensions site.

You can download them
http://extensions.pivotx.net/files/extensions/hello-world/hello-world-latest.zip
http://extensions.pivotx.net/files/extensions/warning/warning-latest.zip
http://extensions.pivotx.net/files/extensions/test/test-latest.zip

Whenever you finish your extension and want it to be published you can submit it.
This and the guidelines are described at http://extensions.pivotx.net/page/extensions-guidelines

I should add that developement for PivotX has long stopped and we only do bug fixing.
PivotX successor is Bolt but gathering from your description you probably do not want to use it as it doesn't support flat files.
Quality is in the detail of things............

Want to change or update your PivotX site? Mail or PM me!
I can also convert your site to a Wordpress site!
Harm10
Developer

Postby luke » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:44 am

Thanks, Harm10. I will try them.

What a pity! Bolt does not support flat file! That is the most vital feature I insisted on Pivotx, A stable CMS supported flat file is precious among so many CMS' which are all supported MYSQL. That makes it different!
luke

Postby luke » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:01 am

I just found that Bolt supports sqlite, does it mean that it support a server-side local database ? Which feature I like to copy or backup this blog sqlite database from host to local PC disk. And comparing with other database, in my opinion, sqlite is more light then others on configuration.
luke

Postby luke » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:39 am

Oh, I have reviewed domestic host providers, most of them do not support sqlite. What a pity again!
luke

Postby hansfn » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:17 pm

Are you sure? PHP5 is normally compiled with SQLite support enabled. How did you check?
hansfn
Developer

Postby luke » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:47 am

hansfn wrote:Are you sure? PHP5 is normally compiled with SQLite support enabled. How did you check?

I uploaded a phpinfo.php to my host, and opened it by the opera. There was no any information about sqlite on the list. Later on, I asked the supporter, he replied me that they just did not provide it.
luke

Return to 2.x Extensions