Extension: wzup - article view counter

Discuss PivotX 2.0.x extensions here, and view extensions that are available for download.

Extension: wzup - article view counter

Postby Wim » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:37 pm

Extension Name: WZUP v0.9X (28-May-2009)
Extension Author: Wim Bekkers
Download Location: WZUP - PivotX Extensions

Extension Description:

The WZUP extension tracks and displays the number of times individual weblog entries (articles) have been viewed.

Installation:

Step 1: Unpack the zip file in the pivotx/extensions/ directory on your server
    Step 2: in the PivotX admin menu go to the Extensions section and enable the wzup snippet extension

After you have completed step 1 and 2 the wzup engine starts to count each time an entry page is requested by a reader of your weblog. Complete the next steps to show the view counts and overview of most popular articles on your weblog:

Step 3: add the [[wzupshow]] tag in your template where you want to show the count for the entry being displayed
    Step 4: add the [[wzuptop]] tag in your template where you want to show a listing of the articles with the most views, or enable the wzuptop widget (Extensions -> Widgets) by dragging it from the Available widgets section to the Active widgets area.

Image is worth a 1000 words, so here is a screendump that explains the difference between [[wzupshow]] and [[wzuptop]]

Customization:

If you are happy with the way it looks now, then you're done! But you can tweak the output of wzup to your likings. You can do this for your entire weblog from the PivotX dashboard, look for the Configure Extensions option and select the wzup screen. Alternatively, you can override these settings also by specifying parameters to the [[wzupshow]] and [[wzuptop]] tags in your template (use this only if you want different output for a specific part of your weblog).

This is how it looks like on your PivotX dashboard:

Advanced example of using the parameter options for the wzup tags:

[[wzupshow format="Already %num% readers for this article"]]

[[wzuptop count=100 cutoff=80 format="Rank %num%, Views %views%, <a href='%link%'>%title%</a>" categories="fun,lol"]]

Changelog

Version 0.9X (beta) works with PivotX 2.0 Final. The wzuptop widget has been added.

Version 0.8X (beta) now counts multiple reads by the same user within 24 hours as only a single one (by using a cookie).
There is also a fix for the fact that the wzupshow is one behind on the entrypage for the current article. Most common issue with this is that the first reader will see a wzup counter of 0 views for the article he is reading. This fix is still inadequate in some respect, I will need to review this further.

That's it. Please try this out if you're interested and provide feedback in this forum.
Last edited by Wim on Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Wim

Re: Extension: wzup - article view counter

Postby jongnieuws » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:22 pm

works like a charm wim! thnx.
jongnieuws

Postby Wim » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:36 pm

jongnieuws wrote:works like a charm wim! thnx.

That's the way I like to see it. Thanks for using this extension.
Wim

Postby Kansloos » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:22 am

This is great. :)
Kansloos

Postby ankedesign » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:34 pm

Hi Wim, thanx for the counter. Real easy-peasy, and exactly what we needed.

Can we do a feature request? :)
The first time the entry gets viewed, it displays 0 views. Could this be changed to (optionally?) start with 1 view? Which would make it more logical.

Thanks, and keep up the good work! 8-)
ankedesign

Postby Wim » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:23 pm

ankedesign wrote:Can we do a feature request? :)
The first time the entry gets viewed, it displays 0 views. Could this be changed to (optionally?) start with 1 view? Which would make it more logical.

Yes this makes sense. I will look for a solution for this.
And thanks for the positive feedback!
Wim

Postby dgerards » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:52 pm

Thanks for this extension, seems to work great. Is it possible to count unique views only? e.g. only 1 view is counted per ip address? Because when I reloaded the entry I got another view added.
Join me and become a Contributor of PivotX!
The Danish Racing Team and DGerards.net are powered by PivotX
dgerards
Contributor

Postby mbootsman » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:13 pm

Great extension,

thanks!!!
mbootsman

Postby Wim » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:57 pm

dgerards wrote:Thanks for this extension, seems to work great.

Great!

dgerards wrote:Is it possible to count unique views only? e.g. only 1 view is counted per ip address? Because when I reloaded the entry I got another view added.

I will add this by using the cookie script that I use in pivote to prevent that people rate the same article more than once. Of course this can easily be tampered with (by blocking cookies) but still better than it is now.
Wim

Postby dgerards » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:00 am

Wim wrote:
dgerards wrote:Thanks for this extension, seems to work great.

Great!

dgerards wrote:Is it possible to count unique views only? e.g. only 1 view is counted per ip address? Because when I reloaded the entry I got another view added.

I will add this by using the cookie script that I use in pivote to prevent that people rate the same article more than once. Of course this can easily be tampered with (by blocking cookies) but still better than it is now.

Excellent! That would make it perfect :)

Thx
Dimitry
Join me and become a Contributor of PivotX!
The Danish Racing Team and DGerards.net are powered by PivotX
dgerards
Contributor

Next

Return to 2.x Extensions