Extension Author: Wim Bekkers
Download Location: link to Pivote on extensions.pivotx
- PIVOTE is an article rating or voting system, with a user friendly interface using Ajax technology. When properly integrated, it will allow readers to rate articles and pages on Pivot weblogs. It will show the average rating on a scale of 1 - 10 (adjustable) for each article, and readers can vote by clicking on the picture which will immediately refresh the Pivote output with the new rating.
Pivote also include tools to create versatile overviews (lists) of highest rated articles or pages anywhere within your PivotX weblog.
Pivote is based on Votio, a rating plugin for Wordpress.
You can see this in action on my website.
Examples of how this may look on your weblog (you can fully customize this):
Scale 1-10 with bars (my favorite)
Scale 1-5 with stars (original votio appearance)
- Step 1: Unpack the zip file in the pivotx/extensions/ directory on your server
Step 2: in the PivotX admin menu go to the Extensions section and enable the pivote extension
Step 3: add the [[pivote]] tag in your template(s) where you want the rating box to appear (associated with each entry on that page)
Step 4 (optional): add the [[pivotetop]] tag in your template where you want a listing of articles with their average rating, or use the pivote_top widget by moving it from the list of available widgets to the active widgets section (in the Extensions -> Widgets section in the PivotX admin menu)
- If you are happy with the way it looks now, then you're done! But you can tweak the output of the pivote rating box and the pivote listing to your likings. You can do this from the PivotX dashboard, look for the Configure Extensions option and select the pivote screen.
This is how it looks like on your PivotX dashboard and will give you an idea of the customization options.
Advanced Customization (not for the faint of heart)
- Skip this if you are happy with the way the standard pivote rating box looks on your screen!
But... you can customize the appearance of pivote limitless. Just a couple of hints on what you need to look for.
1. in the pivotx/extensions/pivote/pivote-gfx there is a pivote_conf.php file that points to the images used in the rating box and the maximum vote possible. You can edit this and put your own images in. Hint: if you change max_vote then you want to delete the database file at pivotx/db/pivote as well.
2. similar there is a css file in the pivotx/extensions/pivote/pivote-gfx directory that you can customize. You can save your own copy with its own name and update the corresponding field in de pivote configuration to point to the new file.
To help you a little bit: there is a pivote_conf-5stars.php that contains the information to display the old style votio rating box (with 5 stars).
That was it folks. Please give this one a try and give some feedback here in the forum.