Extension: pivote - article rating system

Discuss PivotX 2.0.x extensions here, and view extensions that are available for download.

Re: Extension: pivote - article rating system

Postby Wim » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:45 pm

The pivote_hover and pivote_unhover functions are defined in /pivotx/db/pivote/pivote.php.

It would be safe to delete this file, then disable and re-enable the pivote extension in PivotX admin.
Wim

Postby Harm10 » Sun May 16, 2010 8:16 pm

Hi!

I am testing this extension on the latest beta release (revision 2691).
I customized the css but when I want to delete that file in the db directory I get the message "Operation not permitted".
When I try to change the rights for the file (or a group of them) I get the same message.
What am I missing?

edit: It also doesn't seem to be working on pages. Does it only work on entries?
Quality is in the detail of things............

Want to change or update your PivotX site? Mail or PM me!
I can also convert your site to a Wordpress site!
Harm10
Developer

Postby Wim » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:46 pm

Want to know a little secret about the Pivote extension?

Well, a new version (1.100) is about to be released.

Your favorite voting system will now support both entries and pages.
There are also some internal improvements, i.e. the pivote-gfx folder in the db section is gone.
And there will be full documentation!

Of course all the good things from previous Pivote versions remain: the nice Ajax-style voting box (with all the customization options), the pivotetop snippet and widget, the configuration panel within the PivotX dashboard, and more.

Stay tuned!
Wim

Postby streeff » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:51 pm

Is it possible to round the numbers at percents instead of 1-10?

I would like to use this for a 'semi-poll' on a page

E.g.

Should marihuana be legalised?
Agree (coloured bars) Disagree
32 % agrees, including yor vote.
Evert Albers, Streeff - web // branding // information design - Amersfoort & Amsterdam, NL
Site: http://www.streeff.nl
streeff

Postby Wim » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:24 pm

@streeff: Pivote is not really a polling system. You might get disappointed if you use it this way. Let me give you an example:

To the question that you pose, there is one person absolutely against, so he rates it as 1.
Two people support your proposal but not a whole lot, so they rate both at 7.
Now the average vote is 5, and you may say 50% disagrees and 50% agrees, but that is not right because 33% (ie. one in three) disagrees.

I'd rather stick to Pivote as an entry and page voting system. I wrote this extension since it would be fairly hard to use an external system for this. For 'normal' polls I don't see that issue, it should be simple enough to use an existing polling system or program - hardly any integration with PivotX would be required.
Wim

Postby streeff » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:09 pm

I see your point, thanks. And even IF I would 'abuse' PivotE for this purpose it is important to avoid the word 'poll' but come up with something like 'The Moodswing' or something.
Evert Albers, Streeff - web // branding // information design - Amersfoort & Amsterdam, NL
Site: http://www.streeff.nl
streeff

Postby kangoo » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:32 pm

I installed Pivote but it doesn't work. The files in /db/pivote/pivote.php can't be accessed: when trying to do that, my site produces 404 error, but when I disable .htaccess (in case there is something wrng with it), I get 500 error.

Error log says:
[Tue Mar 22 20:27:36 2011] [error] [client 213.175.114.34] SoftException in Application.cpp:610: Directory "/home/user/public_html/pivotx/db/pivote" is writeable by others

What does it mean? I changed chmod to 755 (in case it means that I should revoke public rights to write) but nothing changes.

What could be the cause of this problem?
Thanks.
kangoo

Postby Wim » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:50 pm

You should not chmod the files in db/pivote.

In fact the files in this folder should have the following settings in a standard install:

pivote.php -rw-r--r-- (644)
pivote.txt -rwxrwxrwx (777)
pivoteversion.inc.php -rw-r--r-- (644)
pivotexdb.php -rw-r--r-- (644)

if changing this back and it still does not work, consider deleting all these files and have pivote recreate them (in the pivotx dashboard disable then re-enable pivote to force this).
Wim

Postby kangoo » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:11 pm

I deleted the Pivote folder and sistem regenerated it. Now the Error log says:

[Wed Mar 23 13:10:17 2011] [crit] [client 213.175.114.50] (13)Permission denied: /home/user/public_html/pivotx/db/pivote/.htaccess pcfg_openfile: unable to check htaccess file, ensure it is readable

I placed a blank .htassess file inside the pivote folder, but no success: now it says that it is error 403 and it even can't find error 404 notification page that is mentioned in the main .htacess file that is placed in the root folder.
kangoo

Postby Wim » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:31 pm

You should not have a htaccess file in the pivote folder.

Please check that the db/pivote folder has the execute bit set by chmod'ing it to 777
Wim

PreviousNext

Return to 2.x Extensions