Trying to create a start page which includes numerous feeds

Discuss PivotX 2.0.x themes here, and view themes that are available for download.

Trying to create a start page which includes numerous feeds

Postby TheBuke » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:24 am

Hi there,

I am new to PivotX, but have managed to setup a site using PivotX. I am trying to do something a little different, and wanted to see whether it was possible.

Firstly I have created my own theme, which looks the way I would like. I have created a custom start page, where currently I am bringing in a subset of the entrys in my blogs (5 most recent), however I want some more information to be displayed on this page. I want a magazine style page, that will link off to pivotX "pages" that can be edited in the PivotX admin pages. I have attached an image to help explain what I want to do.

1. Can I display a PivotX "page' that i have created within PivotX on my startup page (similar to the way I have done with my blog entrys)?
2. Can I pull in a small amount of infomation from a PivotX "page" into my startup page (say for example the first 150 characters) and then have a more link that will take me to that page within my site?
3. Currently I am pulling in the top 5 entrys onto my startup page, however rather than inlcuding all the text from the entry, can I choose to pull in a small amount of information (say for example the first 150 characters) onto the start page? I know that you can use the Introduction field, however I didn't want to update that twice when changes are made.
4. Is there any way to make pages static in your pivot X site? there are about 5 or so pages that I don't want to be deleted. Is there any wat to protect this, or is just through education to not delete these pages?

I would really love some help. Thank you so much in advance.

Cheers,

Duncan
Attachments
structure.gif
This is the structure I would like to have on my page.
structure.gif (40.45 KiB) Viewed 44905 times
TheBuke

Re: Trying to create a start page which includes numerous fe

Postby Harm10 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:39 am

A lot of questions in 1 post............... ;)

I guess we have to have a look on your site. So a link would be nice.
With which theme did you start off?

Do you fully get the grasp of entries and pages? You could read the explanation http://book.pivotx.net/page/1-4-5

Also knowing a little about the Smarty structure could help. You could have a look at a simple theme Skinny.
Quality is in the detail of things............

Want to change or update your PivotX site? Mail or PM me!
I can also convert your site to a Wordpress site!
Harm10
Developer

Postby TheBuke » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:54 am

I will post the site online tonight. And send the link.

I understand what an entry and a page is. I originally just wanted to use the blog (entry) functionality within my existing site, then that way I could simply style it the way that I like, however people were saying it si easier to create the whole site using PivotX. Unfortunately the site I want is so simple it is simply 1 page plus a blog; but I want the site admin to be able to edit content on that 1 page using a CMS.

Maybe you could suggest a method of doing what I am looking for as you know the software so much better than I do.

Basically I want to add numerous blocks of information on 1 page, that can be edited inside the PivotX CMS, all displaying on 1 page. Each block is wrapped in custom <div> which has classes that allow me to style them as I wish. The content gets pulled from somewhere, and only the content can be edited (not the div or class etc of the wrapper).

Is this possible to have numerous feeds for information on one page? And if so, how can I reference them on my startpage?

Stay tuned, it may make more sense when I upload the site.
TheBuke

Postby Harm10 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:47 pm

I will wait until you publish the site......

In the meantime you could have a look at my own site http://www.remark-webdesign.nl/weblog/remarkwebdesignen
What you see there is a combination of entry and page content.
The revolving cycleshow in the header are the pages of 1 specific chapter.
The content in the sidebar (with the curves) are the pages of 1 another chapter.
The rest (including the flash) is the content of entries.
The upper part is 1 category (most recent entry only), the 3 beneath that another category (also the most recent ones) and the lower part still another category (again the most recent ones).

That shows how you can style your web page using different content.

Harm10
Developer

Postby TheBuke » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:35 pm

Here is the site:

http://www.kamdunk.com/crossfit_cms/

You are seeing the start.tpl page here.

I have created a weblog which is displayed within a div which includes the BLOG header. That is working as I expected (albeit with a few tweaks). The remaining sections are being pulled in from different *.tpl files.

sessions.tpl
whatis.tpl
started.tpl
contact.tpl

What I would like is for administrators to be able to edit the content of each of these sections from within the PivotX interface. Currently they are all hardcoded within the template. I am looking for something like I did with the weblog section, where I can define the content that I want to come through and have a more link to link to the actual page. My theory is that there must be a way that I can define a page within PivotX, and pull in a subset of the page's information and display it in the *.tpl file like I did for the weblog.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Duncan
TheBuke

Postby hansfn » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:01 pm

You are looking for the template tag getpage. All these hard-coded templates can be dynamic, by using the getpage (as the docs I just linked to). The editors just edit the pages (that is fetched by getpage).
hansfn
Developer

Postby TheBuke » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:27 pm

Awesome... I'll look for useage of getpage, that is brilliant.
TheBuke

Postby Harm10 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:59 pm

I use the getpage a lot!!!!!! Do not forget to use the resetpage as well........

Also look at the hidden setting encode_email_addresses on Appendix A. ;)

The site looks nice!

Harm10
Developer

Return to 2.x Themes