Search Results are Wrong

This is the place to discuss bugs that have been found in the most recent version of PivotX. Posting bugs will ensure that the Development Team is aware of them and that they will be addressed when resources are available.

Search Results are Wrong

Postby mrersatz » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:45 pm

Hi,

I just upgraded my setup to the latest release 2.2.5 and everything is ok but I have problems with search. Specifically, I am getting the wrong number of results. If I do a search for "markov" for example I get zero results. If I look in the m.php file I see that there are actually two entries for "markov". It seems to mostly just ignore entries, not pages but this is not consistent as some entries do show up in the results. Changing the search template tag to [[ search only=entry ]] did not help. Clearing cache, index and search index does not help either.

I am using the flatfile DB if that's not already obvious. Any tips or debug suggestions are appreciated.

thanks,
-Brendan
mrersatz

Re: Search Results are Wrong

Postby Harm10 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:45 pm

Maybe too obvious: those missing entries have status published?
Quality is in the detail of things............

Want to change or update your PivotX site? Mail or PM me!
I can also convert your site to a Wordpress site!
Harm10
Developer

Postby hansfn » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:12 pm

And also check that you have actually assigned any categories to your weblog.
hansfn
Developer

Postby mrersatz » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:14 pm

Ah that's it. It is only pulling out results that are pages or entries from the main "news" category. It's ignoring the "notes" category.

I have two weblogs, one with all entries with the category "news" and one with all entries under the category "notes" but it seems the entries from the "notes" weblog are not showing up in the search results.

How can I get it to show all entries?
mrersatz

Postby Harm10 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:59 pm

If you look at http://book.pivotx.net/index.php?page=app-b#anchor-search you can see that there are several possibilities. The easiest (I think) is to create another weblog and assign all wished categories to it and use that weblog in the search.

Harm10
Developer

Postby mrersatz » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:28 pm

Awesome! This was exactly the fix I needed. Thanks a lot!

I would also suggest that it would be more intuitive to default to searching all weblogs and pages rather than just the current weblog and pages.
mrersatz

Postby Harm10 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:19 pm

Glad to be of help!
About your suggestion I have to disagree. I think the current default is the most intuitive: just search the weblog you are in.
You should also be aware that searching the pages is not fully implemented yet so it could happen that you are missing out on some expected results. To achieve full implementation big changes are necessary and those are planned for the next full release but that could take yet a while....

Harm10
Developer

Postby hansfn » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:22 pm

Just for the record. To search all weblogs, use [[ search weblog="_all_" ]] Creating a dummy weblog with all categories isn't really a good solution. Then it's much better to use [[ search category="_all_" ]]

@Harm: I didn't know/remember that searching pages don't work fully. What exactly do you think about?
hansfn
Developer

Postby Harm10 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:48 pm

In my view creating a dummy weblog is the solution to be able to search in the categories you like. If you only have 2 categories in 2 weblogs your suggestion is obviously the better one. But as I started my suggestion I pointed out that there are several ways described in the documentation.

About the pages I meant the searching also for tags. I seem to remember a discussion (from Bob?) that tag searching should be incorporated in a new version. But correct me if I'm wrong!

Harm10
Developer

Return to 2.x Bugs