Slideshow in combination with minify front-end

This is the place to discuss bugs that have been found in the most recent version of PivotX. Posting bugs will ensure that the Development Team is aware of them and that they will be addressed when resources are available.

Slideshow in combination with minify front-end

Postby Gerard113 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:15 am

I use Slideshow on my website http://www.musical-kaarten.nl/entry/27/1953-de-musical and i am satisfied with it.

But when i activate the minify front-end, the slide show is not working anymore.

Using minify back-end and/or cache output, Slideshow workt ok.

Is this a bug in slidewhow or in Pivotx or something else?

I use Pivotx 2.2.5, flatfiles, latest version of Slideshow (0.7)

Greetings

Gerard
Gerard113

Re: Slideshow in combination with minify front-end

Postby xzjia » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:23 pm

I think it's a known fact that minify will break codes in certain circumstances, actually the vast majority of aggressive compression tools will break code in certain circumstances, it's not really a bug but the nature of the beast.

I have personally experienced problems with minify's aggressive code grouping when I'm applying CSS hacks where redundant property assignment actually serves a purpose (activate "has-layout" for IE etc.), and when applying CSS styles to hyperlink's initial, hover and active states where the ordering of the CSS rules will affect whether it is working properly or not.

You have already deduced that minify is the culprit in Slideshow breaking, so I think the best solution right now is to just leave the setting off. If you receive enough traffic for minify to matter then you can process the Javascript/CSS yourself using other compression tools on the web. Of course you can also try and hunt down the piece of code that is causing the bug by selectively compressing Javascript/CSS, but that'll be up to you.
xzjia

Return to 2.x Bugs