(New) thumbnails no longer usable in page

This is the place to discuss bugs that have been found in the most recent version of PivotX. Posting bugs will ensure that the Development Team is aware of them and that they will be addressed when resources are available.

(New) thumbnails no longer usable in page

Postby rvandensen » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:30 am

Hi everyone,

so here's another strange phenomenon - I took a quick look at the bugs forum but couldn't find anything like it at first glance.
I use PivotX 2.2.6 (mysql db, PHPinfo). Up until last week, thumbnail generation worked perfectly. It still does, and yet it doesn't... If that sounds strange, here's the most sense I can make of it.

• Uploading an image: works perfectly.
  • Creating a thumbnail automatically: seems to have stopped working for some reason, even though it's checked under configuration.
  • Manually creating a thumbnail via 'Mediabeheer': works perfectly.
  • Checking in browser if thumbnail exists: Thumbnail exists on server, as manually created image.
  • Checking in FTP program if thumbnail exists: File exists as .thumb etc, has 0644 for rights. See no difference with older thumbs.

So here's the puzzle. If the file exists, has the correct rights, etc, why can't I use it in a page ? I use thumbs in pages for specific series of posts, as illustrations per posting. See:
http://kutbinnenlanders.nl/?p=dat-is-het-leven

You'll notice 'Aflevering 22' has no image. The thumb file, however, has been created fine:
http://kutbinnenlanders.nl/images/lowie-53.thumb.jpg

So the file has no different server rights, naming convention is the same, server space is fine and thumb has been created fine also. Yet suddenly, and only for thumbs created since about halfway last week, PivotX consistently says
Code: Select all
<!-- Rendering error: could not display image 'lowie-53.thumb.jpg'. File does not exist -->

I'm at a loss.
The only way around it I've found so far is download the thumb, rename it (e.g. _thumb), upload as new image. That seems absurd to me.

Anyone else have this problem ?
rvandensen

Re: (New) thumbnails no longer usable in page

Postby Harm10 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:41 pm

Someone else also had some weird problem with thumbnail creation. Could you try with the previous version of timthumb.php of version 2.2.5?
It is located in the includes subdir.
BTW the existence of the thumb file in the same location as the image is does not mean timthumb uses that one. It creates it's own version in db/cache.

Could you also paste the template code used for the missing thumbnail?
Quality is in the detail of things............

Want to change or update your PivotX site? Mail or PM me!
I can also convert your site to a Wordpress site!
Harm10
Developer

Postby rvandensen » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:19 pm

That's just it, I don't use template codes, I simply use the same approach as I would to create a normal entry or page. In other words, the 'code' is actually just the WYSIWYG editor for pages. All other 21 'listings' above have been done the same way: just as page content in the WYSIWYG.

HTML view of the specific bit:

Code: Select all
<hr />
<h3><em><a href="/?e=2668&amp;w=lowie-cremers" target="_self">[[image file="lowie-53.thumb.jpg" align="left" ]]Aflevering 22</a></em></h3>
<p>Na 2 dagen goed ziek te zijn geweest was ik er door heen en kon ik weer lachen als of er niets aan de hand was.Mijn hutmaat Andre was nog niet zeeziek geweest.Die overkwam het enkele dagen later pas.En ik die alles al achter de rug had hield hem dan ook 2 dagen voor de gek.Dan liep ik hem voor bij als hij doodziek aardappels zat te jassen en riep dan Andre lust je een lekker vetspekje of misschien heerlijke erwtensoep.Met het gevolg dat de Koksmaat dan weer snel naar de reling liep om te kotsen.</p>
<p><a href="/?e=2668&amp;w=lowie-cremers" target="_self">Lees de hele tekst...</a></p>
<hr />
<p>wordt vervolgd...</p>

Now, unless I'm mistaken, if I use this approach, it should look for the file under '/images', right ? Before I go through the trouble of trying to find 2.2.5...
rvandensen

Postby rvandensen » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:20 pm

Unless [ [ image ] ] is a template code, in which case, that's what I used.
rvandensen

Postby Harm10 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:23 pm

[[ image ]] is a template code but not the one that was in error in that other weird problem. So you don't have to look for version 2.2.5 (yet).
This template looks for the specified image on the location constructed out the variables $PIVOTX['paths']['upload_base_path']. The values of these variables can be shown when you switch on debug and look in the debug bar.
Perhaps you have forgotten to put in a slash at the end of the upload path?
I think it would be an enhancement to not only display the error containing the file specified but also the total string were the image was searched.

The picture itself could also be the reason. What happens when you use it in a popup?

Harm10
Developer

Postby rvandensen » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:30 am

2011-07-13 13:19:26 - 0.181 -- modules/module_debug.php:414 / userErrorHandler() -- ( 9747872 )
Warning: Missing argument 7 for Image::Image(), called in /var/www/g36651/kutbinnenlanders.nl/HTML/pivotx/modules/module_image.php on line 181 and defined. (in 'modules/module_image.php' on line 198)
Rendering error: could not popup 'lowie-53.jpg'. File does not exist.
rvandensen

Postby rvandensen » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:03 pm

Found the error after trying out a few things and couldn't believe it was, well, that. I've been making updates from another laptop, configured to be AZERTY. Turns out it inserted strange different " quotes into my HTML code. Sorry everyone.

(So in other words, the end quote of file="blabla" wasn't a regular quote but one of those 'Word' quotes, which of course the system didn't like)

Dumbass AZERTY laptops.
rvandensen

Postby Harm10 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:28 pm

Glad you found it! Perhaps it is possible (low prio) that PivotX converts those weird characters.

Harm10
Developer

Return to 2.x Bugs