Triple frustration

This is the place to discuss bugs that have been found in the most recent version of PivotX. Posting bugs will ensure that the Development Team is aware of them and that they will be addressed when resources are available.

Triple frustration

Postby baruch » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:18 pm

My weblog robbertbaruch.nl will have its 10th anniversiry in 2012. I used something else the first two years or so, but moved to Pivot(x) after that.

About a month or so ago, my PivotX lost its ability to post blogs. I checked it from different computers, but both at home and at work it is not possible anymore. Blog entries longer than a line or so are not saved, but I am redirected to a `not allowed page´. Highly frustrating, especially since the problem cannot be seen from some other computers. It is a mystery. I tried reinstalling, and re-reinstalling but to no avail.

A second frustration is that I can't even post pictures anymore with the insert/edit picture option. Already longer than a month ago.

Also, I tried updating the extensions, but this didn't work out. Also because for someone like me, with only limited ideas about what he is doing (in general, but also with keeping this website of mine), it is completely unclear where to place the files connected with the extensions, hooks, and whathaveyounots.

I installed version 2.3.1.

Check integrity gives me Could not download file (md5sum_2-3-1.txt) with check sums from pivotx.net - either there is no file for your version or pivotx.net is down

I am using MySQL

Debug information: I tried doing that by clicking the "debug" and even "save as file" or something option but I am too deficient to find either information.

Thanking you in advance for your understanding and help,

Robbert Baruch
baruch

Re: Triple frustration

Postby Harm10 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:07 am

Did you already try to clear the cache (both in the browser and the option in the config panel)?
Or use PivotX config from another browser?

As 2.3.1 is not officially released yet there is no checksum file available yet.

You could try to install a totally new installation next to your current one e.g. yoururl/pivotxtest.
In this way you make sure there are no mismatches in your upgrade install.
Or mock ups with the extensions installed.
It is always a good idea to have such an install available so you can first use that to upgrade or change and test.

Are there any warnings displayed when you start up the Dashboard? And the debuggers probably also want to know what PHP version you are using.
Quality is in the detail of things............

Want to change or update your PivotX site? Mail or PM me!
I can also convert your site to a Wordpress site!
Harm10
Developer

Postby hansfn » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:10 am

[Harm replied while I wrote my reply, but I'm posting it as I wrote it.]

I'm sorry to hear about your problems. Let me quickly try to answer some of your questions:

1) I hadn't created md5sum_2-3-1.txt since PivotX 2.3.1 hasn't be official released. I have created and uploaded md5sum_2-3-1.txt now (so the integrity check should work).
2) Yes, the documentation for installing extensions has been missing. Does this page help?
3) The image upload problem is known to us, but we hoped it should have been solved with the upgrade of Plupload in PivotX 2.3.1. If you give me FTP and PivotX access, I can try to debug the problem.
4) After enabling debug in PivotX, you get the debug window link in the bottom right corner. You should look at the debug window right after trying to post an blog entry. To me it sounds as something times out and you should contact your hoster and ask them to look at it. (Check the webserver error log and so on.) Not much PivotX can do about it.
hansfn
Developer

Postby baruch » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:28 pm

Hams, thanks. I sent you info by PM. Hope you can have a look.

r
baruch

Postby ptr » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:08 pm

I checked Robbert's site. It's possible to make a new entry/page. You can type and save and all. But PivotX only works properly when using just one paragraph. If I try to save an entry with two or more paragraphs, a server error page appears. Also tried changing the <p> to <div>'s. No luck either.

This error appears when trying to save the entry:
==
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access to this document on this server.
==

Debug log gives a lot of this messages, but I don't know if that has anything to do with the problem:
==
Warning: Missing argument 1 for smarty_lang(), called in /XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX/modules/module_parser.php on line 1787 and defined. (in 'modules/module_smarty.php' on line 2390)
==

Does anyone know what could be wrong?
ptr
PivotX Team

Postby Harm10 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:24 pm

Maybe it's best to wait on what Hans finds? I guess he has received the login credentials by now.......
Quality is in the detail of things............

Want to change or update your PivotX site? Mail or PM me!
I can also convert your site to a Wordpress site!
Harm10
Developer

Postby hansfn » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:26 am

I actually had replied to the PM long before ptr posted above. In the PM I wrote:

The problem you have, not being able to post long entries, is probably not related to PivotX, but to a server limitation - some post size limitation or maybe a mod_security check.

The point is that the request doesn't even reach PivotX. I couldn't investigate more since I couldn't log in using FTP (for some reason), but I think it's better to just ask the hoster.

@ptr: There is no debug message when you get the access denied. You should clear the debug log right before trying to save.
hansfn
Developer

Postby baruch » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:53 pm

It was indeed mod_security that was the culprit. I can now share my ideas with the world again. Thanks, Hansfn and Peter!
baruch

Return to 2.x Bugs