Image Upload issues with IE9

This is the place to discuss bugs that have been found in the most recent version of PivotX. Posting bugs will ensure that the Development Team is aware of them and that they will be addressed when resources are available.

Image Upload issues with IE9

Postby DeepSpace » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:07 pm

Hello,

I am using a clean install of PivotX 2.3.1 on a Microsoft Home Server 2011 (a simple version of MS Server 2008), running IIS7.5 with PHP 5.3.6. I am using Microsoft's Internet Explorer 9 web browser.

When uploading a an image on the New Entry page using either the Insert PivotX Image or the Inser PivotX Popup, or the Extra Image Field Extension, I see the temporary files beign create in the C:\Windows\Temp folder but when I go to the \Images\year-month folder for PivotX, I see the image file name being written with 0 bytes. When I move the image in question manually to the \Images\year-month folder, I can find and sucessfully place the image into the Entry Page.

In reviewing other posts on similar image realted topics, I have cleared the brower and the PivotX cache and turned on the PivotX debug. I receive no PivotX debug messages so far. Looking at my php-errors.log file, I have the following error when using Timthumb version 2.8.0:

[19-Dec-2011 15:25:28] PHP Warning: file_exists(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\WebApps\SiteD:/WebServer/Blog1/pivotx/includes/timthumb.php/2011-12/hi-oilsands-mine-7004481-4col_7.jpg) is not within the allowed path(s): (C:\inetpub\wwwroot;D:\WebServer) in D:\WebServer\Blog1\pivotx\includes\timthumb.php on line 885

When I go to Timthumb version 2.8.2, I have the same above obervations with no additional errors logged into my php-errors.log file. Same goes for Timthumb version 2.8.4.

I thought it was a Windows security rights issue at first, but now, I am not so convinced.

Does anyone have any thoughts or a particular direction that I should be looking at?

DS
DeepSpace

Re: Image Upload issues with IE9

Postby DeepSpace » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:16 pm

After further investigation, this seems to be more of a PHP set-up of the open-basedir variable than a PivotX item. Setting open-basedir = none in the php.ini removes the error decribed above, or one can include the necessary directories to include into the open-basedir variable.

Any thoughts on which approach is more secure?

DS
DeepSpace

Postby hansfn » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:38 pm

Yes, it might be open_basedir issue - you weren't 100% clear if removing the restriction fixed the image uploading. (The warning from timthumb isn't directly related to uploading.)

Your open_basedir values seems fine - it's "C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\WebApps\SiteD:/WebServer/Blog1/pivotx/includes/timthumb.php" that looks crazy ... Sorry, I can't really help since I never use Microsoft Home Server 2011 (or IIS).
hansfn
Developer

Postby DeepSpace » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:52 pm

I am confirmining that removing the open_basedir restriction as described above allowed me to upload the images sucessfully. The error came from PHP and not from timthumb as my preliminary investigation lead me to believe. Also letting you know that PivotX works great on IIS7.
DeepSpace

Return to 2.x Bugs