Weblog comment notify email, can't add second email address

This is the place to discuss bugs that have been found in the most recent version of PivotX. Posting bugs will ensure that the Development Team is aware of them and that they will be addressed when resources are available.

Weblog comment notify email, can't add second email address

Postby jeboyd » Mon May 07, 2012 11:06 pm

There is a bug in Administration/Weblogs/Commenting/Mail to.
When I try to add a second email address (the instruction mouseover says "separate multiple addresses with a comma"), the system displays an error icon and will not allow the change. How can I get around this bug?
Thanks,
Jim
running 2.3.2, flatfile
jeboyd

Re: Weblog comment notify email, can't add second email addr

Postby hansfn » Tue May 08, 2012 7:08 am

It's the form validation that only allows one address. In forms.php search for "comment_emailto". Some lines below you'll find:

Code: Select all
'validation' => 'email|minlen=1|maxlen=80',

Just remove that line and you should be good to go.
hansfn
Developer

Postby jeboyd » Tue May 08, 2012 2:00 pm

Hansfn,
Thanks for the workaround.
The system now accepts the second email address with no problem.
However, the email notifications are still not being consistently received. Sometimes they come, sometimes they do not.
My hoster thinks it might be his sendmail.
Is there a way I can tell PivotX to use smtp to send mail instead of sendmail?
That might fix my issue with inconsistent notifications, see this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2741#p14287
Best regards and thanks,
Jim
jeboyd

Postby hansfn » Tue May 08, 2012 7:25 pm

Is there a way I can tell PivotX to use smtp to send mail instead of sendmail?

As I said in the thread you pointed to, PivotX uses the standard PHP mail function. So the question is how to tell PHP to use SMTP. I don't think it is doable, but I don't understand why your hoster can't make the sendmail program work reliably?

Anyway, there are several PHP libraries (look at Pear or Zend) that implements SMTP. You can edit the function pivotxMail (in lib.php) so it uses on those mail functions.
hansfn
Developer

Postby jeboyd » Tue May 08, 2012 8:54 pm

Hansfn,
As usual, thanks for the fast response. I agree with you that there is no reason why my hoster's sendmail function should be unreliable!
He says it has something to do with spam filtering by the mail relay server, but I think they are just brushing me off.
Anyway, thanks for your tip about looking at the pivotxmail function in lib.php.
If the issue does not soon get resolved by my hoster I may have to try to switch things to smtp email.
Thanks again,
Jim
jeboyd

Return to 2.x Bugs