Chaptername appears on webpages by not on editor preview

This is the place to discuss bugs that have been found in the most recent version of PivotX. Posting bugs will ensure that the Development Team is aware of them and that they will be addressed when resources are available.

Chaptername appears on webpages by not on editor preview

Postby mckinb » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:16 am

My phpinfo is at: http://excipe.nottoomuch.com/phpinfo.php

Hello

I am finding that:
-- although the chapter name of a page is displayed on published pages on my website http://excipe.nottoomuch.com,
-- when I use the preview button on the page edit menu, the chapter title is missing from the displayed preview of the page.

This is the relevant part of the template:
<div class="entry-title-section">
<h3 class="entry-title"><i>[[ chaptername ]]</i></h3>
<h2 class="entry-title"><a href="[[ link hrefonly=1 ]]" title="[[ title ]]" rel="bookmark">[[ title ]]</a></h2>
<p><b>[[ subtitle ]]</b></p>
</div>

The same part of the webpage as produced by Pivotx looks like this:
<h3 class="entry-title"><i>Twelve Days of Christmas</i></h3> <!--This is the correct chapter name-->
<h2 class="entry-title"><a href="/page/twelve-days-of-christmas-day-twelve-5-january" title="Day Twelve - 5 January" rel="bookmark">Day Twelve - 5 January</a></h2>
<p><b>Come and see</b></p>
</div>

But the preview called by the editor looks like this:
<h3 class="entry-title"><i></i></h3> <!--The chaptername is missing!-->
<h2 class="entry-title"><a href="" title="Day Twelve - 5 January" rel="bookmark">Day Twelve - 5 January</a></h2>
<p><b>Come and see</b></p>
</div>

Regards

Brian McKinlay
mckinb

Re: Chaptername appears on webpages by not on editor preview

Postby Harm10 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:53 am

I know more things are not working (template tag wise) when using the preview. Not sure this is due to the logic. Also not sure whether this can be solved.
The only advice I can give right now is that whenever something seems to be not working when looking at the preview, try the real display.
Quality is in the detail of things............

Want to change or update your PivotX site? Mail or PM me!
I can also convert your site to a Wordpress site!
Harm10
Developer

Postby hansfn » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:25 pm

Harm, the reason you see this is that the preview is taking the current edited entry or page and displays it without actually reading it from the database. Some properties of a page or entry is not part of the editing so it's not available in the preview. (The chapter ID is part of the editing, not the chapter name.)

I'm not sure this is worth fixing thinking about the on-going Bolt and Pivot 4 development.
hansfn
Developer

Postby Harm10 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:33 pm

hansfn wrote:I'm not sure this is worth fixing thinking about the on-going Bolt and Pivot 4 development.
I guess not. As soon as both Bolt and Piv4 are there, there will be less development and only bug fixing right? I do not see this as a bug so I am good with it.

Harm10
Developer

Postby mckinb » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:36 pm

Gentlemen

I now understand why the 'preview' is incomplete, which is reasonable. However, a couple of sentences about this in the documentation and/or the edit menu might save a lot of trouble?

Brian
mckinb

Postby Harm10 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:38 pm

mckinb wrote:However, a couple of sentences about this in the documentation and/or the edit menu might save a lot of trouble?
I agree on the first part (I just noticed that there seems to be no specific reference in the docs for the preview) but the second part would pose some problems. The edit menu is not particular designed for instructions. I will see what I can do about adding some description about previewing to the documentation.

Harm10
Developer

Return to 2.x Bugs