Editing templates in PivotX 2.3.6

This is the place to discuss bugs that have been found in the most recent version of PivotX. Posting bugs will ensure that the Development Team is aware of them and that they will be addressed when resources are available.

Editing templates in PivotX 2.3.6

Postby Colp » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:10 am

PivotX 2.3.6
PHP Version 5.2.17
Using flatfiles

I installed 2.3.6 weeks ago into a fresh folder and it's been working fine. Today I tried to edit a template and I get the same CSS-less page as the OP. The new categories page is the same. I also noticed that the configuration page has a bullet list rather than the usual tabs and so does the weblog page. I also get overlapping text on the submenus. I'm sure these were working earlier today and definitely yesterday (the weblogs screen and tabbed configs anyway), but I couldn't pinpoint when. I've used Chrome, IE and Safari and I get the same result on them all.

The only changes I made today were to install the bonusfields and starrating extensions and I looked at the configuration page for them. Suspecting it was this, I first removed the extensions. No change. I restored (copied to db folder) a config I backed up before installing the extensions. No change. I tried restoring an older version. No change. I then took a fresh download of 2.3.6 and installed to another fresh folder and applied my configuration without installing the extensions. No change.

I'm at a loss. I tried to add the advanced config key jquery_filename => jquery-1.7.2.min.js, but it wouldn't save the addition, and I can't find that file. I don't know enough about jquery to work this out. I seem to have jquery-1.8.2.min.js and jquery-ui-1.9.1.custom.min.js from the 2.3.6 install...

What can I do? Please help.
Colp

Re: Editing templates in PivotX2.3.5

Postby Harm10 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:50 am

To start with: please specify a link so we can look at the described effect.

Is there a way to upgrade the PHP version? Your release is fairly old.
Quality is in the detail of things............

Want to change or update your PivotX site? Mail or PM me!
I can also convert your site to a Wordpress site!
Harm10
Developer

Postby Colp » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:14 am

Sorry it was late last night. site is http://www.friedhornet.co.uk and the phpinfo.php file is available. I don't have enough control over the server to update PHP unfortunately.

The good news is that it's working again this morning. I opened the PivotX control panel on my Blackberry Playbook and the bullet lists switched to tabs correctly and I can edit the templates in a pop-up. I reverted back to my laptop (that I didn't reboot) and it works there too in Chrome, IE and Safari.

I'm perplexed. I'm guessing it was a server error... :?
Colp

Postby Harm10 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:38 am

Colp wrote:I'm perplexed. I'm guessing it was a server error... :?
Could be. Did you clear cache between all your actions? (Always a good thing to do in such a case).
Currently there seems to be nothing wrong on your site.
Surely you can ask your hoster about the PHP version?
(Nice site design btw).

Harm10
Developer

Postby Colp » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:53 am

Thanks Harm10! :) I did clear the cache every time.

I also thought it might something to do with CloudFlare too, first disabling it then reverting back to my old name servers to bypass it, but no. It's definitely got to be a host problem. I'll ask them to update PHP.

Cheers
Colp

Postby Colp » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:22 pm

It's been working perfectly for a few hours, I logged out and now back in... and it's happened again. If I load the config page I get this:

and highlighting another menu (in this case PivotX Tools) I get overlapping text in the submenu.

It seems that the code that normally switches the list into tabs on the config page and that used to fade in and out the submenu text is not loading.

I get the same as the original poster when it comes to editing templates (to confirm this was working before):

And trying to upload these images to my site, the image upload button had no effect.

So... something is stopping the code from working. I've asked for PHP to be upgraded on the site, although there's nothing in the site error logs to suggest that something is wrong. I realise that php version 5.2.17 is old but can anyone confirm that it doesn't work with the latest version of PivotX?

Can someone point me towards the code that controls these items in the PivotX folder structure?
Colp

Postby Harm10 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:50 pm

What does the browser error log show? (F12 in Firefox and Chrome and select Console).
It looks like a jQuery problem of some kind.

Your web site looks normal right now.

Harm10
Developer

Postby Colp » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:10 pm

Yeah the website is fine, it's just the PivotX control panel. Checked the console in Chrome as you suggested and it's blank. No errors, warnings or logs.
Colp

Re: Editing templates in PivotX2.3.5 and 2.3.6

Postby Colp » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:43 pm

Ok. Curiouser and curiouser. I've cleared the cache in PivotX and my browsers every time and still get the same thing. I've checked CloudFlare and it's in developer mode (non caching). I get the same thing every time now in Chrome and Safari and I get the same thing on my Blackberry Playbook browser (obviously a different device)... Note they were all working at about 12pm today.

I copied my backup of my 2.3.3 install into a new folder and reverted back to that. Exactly the same issue! I've reverted back to my 2.3.6 and still the same.

I've just opened it on Firefox and it's working!

Checked back on Chrome, Safari and Playbook browsers with cleared caches and they're not!

I can recognise when it fails as soon as I log in now. The PivotX News loader bar is constantly on and never retrieves news. The latest forum posts box is empty. Placing a cursor over the menu bar makes the submenu pop up quickly and it doesn't fade in.

Could it be user-agent related I wondered or my .htaccess file? I didn't put a load of blockers in there recently. I've reverted back to an older version and the PivotX example. No... it's not that. :?

So what else could it be? Add-ins in the browsers? Anti-virus, ad-blockers, firewall blockers... I don't know. For now Firefox is working.
Colp

Postby Harm10 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:29 pm

Did you check whether the files that you think are there are really there (I mean the correct version).
You can do that with Beyond Compare and a FTP account.
All the hustling with files and old versions can get you into a big pile of s@#$!

Do you have minify switched on?

Harm10
Developer

Next

Return to 2.x Bugs