Editing templates in PivotX 2.3.6

This is the place to discuss bugs that have been found in the most recent version of PivotX. Posting bugs will ensure that the Development Team is aware of them and that they will be addressed when resources are available.

Re: Editing templates in PivotX2.3.5

Postby Colp » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:37 pm

I've been careful 'switching' files. I have separate folders with 2.3.3 (pre upgrade) and 2.3.6 (current after upgrade) installed. I just rename them to PivotX in FTP client when I want to switch between the two. I created a 3rd installation with 2.3.6 downloaded yesterday and copied in my current config, DB, and entry backups. As described had the problem on all these instances. I've used the integrity checker on them all and they all have the correct files.

I don't use minify. I disabled compression on the server and developer mode on CloudFlare disables caching and other optimisations. Yesterday I enabled php error logging but I haven't been able to check it yet. I'll do that later today.

Thanks for keeping any eye on this post and my ramblings ;)
Colp

Postby Colp » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:42 pm

True to form. It's working again in Chrome, IE9, Safari, Firefox and my Playbook browser. I've made no other changes apart from waiting a day since I last accessed it.

One other thought:

After login to PivotX it loads the dashboard and you get a progress bar loading the latest news from the PivotX site. Once that's loaded it shows the latest forum posts. After that it seems load the rest of the control, which is where I think the code is loaded for fading the sub menus and changing lists to tabs. I said that yesterday afternoon the dashboard was stuck loading the latest news. There was no timeout at all. If I'm right it's this that then prevented the rest of the control panel code to load properly.

I don't know why it couldn't get to the PivotX site (when Firefox obviously could), but can someone confirm this is the loading process and if so, could there be an error trap that would allow the rest of the code to load without having news?
Colp

Postby Harm10 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:12 pm

Sorry, I do not know that. Maybe someone else knows?
Quality is in the detail of things............

Want to change or update your PivotX site? Mail or PM me!
I can also convert your site to a Wordpress site!
Harm10
Developer

Re: Editing templates in PivotX 2.3.6

Postby hansfn » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:26 am

1) I have split this topic into it's on thread. The problem in PivotX 2.3.5 is fixed and not related to the problems here at all. Reusing threads like this causes a lot of confusion.
2) It should behave the same in all browsers. Since PivotX is using different file names for each jQuery version it can't really be browser cache causing this ...
3) Just give me (or Harm) access to your PivotX when it doesn't work and we can see what is really going on.

Added: After thinking about this, I realized that this could be the Minify problem.
hansfn
Developer

Postby Harm10 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:14 pm

hansfn wrote:Added: After thinking about this, I realized that this could be the Minify problem.
I asked Colp whether he used minifying and the answer was no. Could it have something to do with Cloudflare and remnants files of that process?
BTW I cannot do any harm to add the 2 fixes to minify: http://pivot-weblog.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pivot-weblog?view=revision&revision=4245 and http://pivot-weblog.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pivot-weblog?view=revision&revision=4249
Quality is in the detail of things............

Want to change or update your PivotX site? Mail or PM me!
I can also convert your site to a Wordpress site!
Harm10
Developer

Postby hansfn » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:28 pm

Yes, you are probably right. CloudFare has a bunch of servers which not necessarily is 100% in sync. You never know which server will handle the request for a page. One way to verify that PivotX 2.3.6 works is to put it in a new (never used) folder/url.
hansfn
Developer

Postby Colp » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:26 am

Sorry I've been busy tonight that I missed your comments. I've resorted to using FileZilla and editing files locally through FTP because it's been so unreliable through the control panel. I'll try to pick up on the points...

• I don't have minify switched on and never have.
  • I installed 2.3.6 into a fresh folder when I first upgraded and have since installed a new version in another folder and had the same problem. Granted I've copied in my config backup, so it hasn't been a completely fresh installation.
  • I get 'stuck progress bar' after log in that seems to stop the code from loading. I get this consistently in Google Chrome, although sometimes it does get through and the rest works fine from then. I get the same thing in Safari and IE9. Firefox seems to load the news update without issues every time. When one of the other browsers fails to load the login page, I log off and all other browsers (not Firefox) get the same thing. This is on the same laptop, but also my Blackberry Playbook and also today on my work W7 PC running IE8.
  • My server has PHP 5.3 and I believe I only need to add a line in the .htaccess file to get it. I've been told to backup the server first though (?) so I haven't done it.
  • CloudFlare seems to be a obvious target and one I'm all too conscious of, however, whenever I've accessed PivotX I've switched CloudFlare into 'Developer mode', which claims to switch of caching and optimisation tools. I've also used the options to switch off www access through CloudFlare effectively bypassing it straight to my server. I've even reconfigured the name servers with my host to the old servers to take CloudFlare out of the equation. None of this fixed it either.
  • I've cleared the cache in the browser every time I've had the problem (I think).
Of course, despite all this, I wouldn't say I've conducted a thorough and controlled testing process. I'll try to do something more conclusive when I can, but for now at least I can use Firefox. Since I'm the only one raising this issue, it can't be common, so thanks for your support so far.
Colp

Postby Colp » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:39 pm

Hello again... I hope this is the last update on this one because I think I've found it! :D

Firstly I got the PHP update to 5.3.15. I thought it fixed the problem because Chrome loaded the Pivotx control panel and the latest news. All the code seemed to work, but when I created a new entry using the wysiwyg editor it wouldn't display the 'add link' window. IE9 did exactly the same thing. Safari wouldn't load the latest news, nor show the wysiwyg editor menu bar at all. Firefox was still working...

I had a look back at the CloudFlare settings, which was set to 'CDN + Full Optimisation'. This setting cached pages from query strings, which can't be good, that's dynamic content. I set it to CDN + Basic, which is static data only and I purged the cache. This had a minor effect.

I then looked further down the settings... It uses minify! I've been saying I don't use it on my site, but I didn't know CloudFlare does. It allows you to select where to apply it - to Javascript, CSS and/or HTML. I deselected Javascript like in your fix.

For good measure there's a tool they call Rocket Loader, which was on and described as "Automatically asynchronously load all JavaScript resources. " I didn't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing so I disabled it. (To be fair it doesn't seem to matter if this is on or off.)

I'm happy to say my Pivotx control panel seems to be working perfectly again in all browsers and that's without having to switch CloudFlare into development mode at all. In fact I'd go as far as to say that it seems faster too.

Obviously, I should have checked these more closely. Thanks for pointing me in the minify direction.
Colp

Previous

Return to 2.x Bugs