WYSIWYG Editor destroys textarea

This is the place to discuss bugs that have been found in the most recent version of PivotX. Posting bugs will ensure that the Development Team is aware of them and that they will be addressed when resources are available.

WYSIWYG Editor destroys textarea

Postby knut » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:46 pm

Hi,

I've put a <form> onto a page entry. I entered my HTML structure with the HTML-button of the WYSIWYG-editor. I can save the page and it is displayed correctly.
All input-fields are ok while the < and > of the textarea-html-tag are replaced by &lt; and &gt; as soon as I edit the page.

Any ideas?

knut
knut

Re: WYSIWYG Editor destroys textarea

Postby amro » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:52 pm

I'm not an expert, but yes, the WYSIWYG editor does modify your html code, and it often breaks it as you've seen. This is not the fault of PivotX, but the fault of TinyMCE, which is the WYSIWYG editor that PivotX uses by default. More recent versions of that editor solve a lot of such problems, but it seems an updated version will only be available in the next version of PivotX.

Generally the recommendation here is that if you need to do any considerable work with html, then not using the WYSIWYG is the preferred method (you can modify which editor to use in your user settings). Again, I'm no expert, so anybody should feel free to correct me.
Last edited by amro on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amro

Re: WYSIWYG Editor destroys textarea

Postby Harm10 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:12 pm

The easiest way to include some html in your entry or page is by creating a separate file for it and using the [[ include ]] tag to include it. http://book.pivotx.net/index.php?page=app-b#anchor-include
This is especially the case when you have a lot of html tags.

Another way is to click on the HTML button in the editor and putting in the html by hand. Most tags will remain unchanged then after saving.
Quality is in the detail of things............

Want to change or update your PivotX site? Mail or PM me!
I can also convert your site to a Wordpress site!
Harm10
Developer

Return to 2.x Bugs