When posting image error 406 message appears

This is the place to discuss bugs that have been found in the most recent version of PivotX. Posting bugs will ensure that the Development Team is aware of them and that they will be addressed when resources are available.

When posting image error 406 message appears

Postby angelicavenues » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:08 pm

Hi favourite people,

I'm using PivotX 2.0.0: beta 12a, MYSQL.

Since this weekend I have been trying to post an image, but I get error message 406. Upon Kevin Pascal's advice, I checked the CHMOD issue and made sure it is 777. Then I proceeded again in posting an image, unfortunately still error message 406 keeps popping up. What -oh what- am I doing wrong?

Can you help me out on this issue?

Thanks in advance for your great work. Love PivotX.

Kind regards,
Angela,
http://www.angelicavenues.com/
angelicavenues

Re: When posting image error 406 message appears

Postby angelicavenues » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:21 am

Has anyone got a solution for this issue?

Kind regards,
Angela
angelicavenues

Postby Khevor » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:06 am

Until now, I had never even heard of an error 406. I'm assuming you're referring to your browser returning a error 406, right? Based on that assumption, I found this particular explanation as to what it is:

406 is the status returned when the HTTP request has "Accept" headers that are incompatible with what is being requested or what the server is set up to deliver.

To put it in a metaphor, imagine that you're asking me for lunch, and in your request you tell me you have an allergy to peanuts. And I have food, but it all contains nuts. Instead of giving you the food (which would kill you), I will give you an empty response with a status of "Unacceptable"

OR imagine that I've asked you for a book to read, but I can only read books in English and French. If you only have books in German, you would give me an empty response with a "406 - Not Acceptable" status.

406 is the server telling you "I have what you asked for, but you won't accept them".

That's what Accept headers in the HTTP request are for. For instance, if the HTTP request includes directions that it will only accept "img/jpg" mime type, the server would send a 406 status if the file requested is an Excel spreadsheet.

To diagnose:
- request one of these pages and analyze the HTTP request headers
- Pay attention to the MIME type of the responses, the Character Set, GZIP encoding

"406 Not Acceptable" is an unusual status code - the most common are 200, 404, 500, 301. You only see a 406 when something is wrong with the server, usually something silly but hard to diagnose.

-- by httpwebwitch from WebmasterWorld.com

Based on that description, it might offer some insight on the issue you're having.
Khevor

Postby angelicavenues » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:39 pm

Hi Khevor,

Thanx for the response.

The message 406 occurred when I tried to upload images for postings. It would not upload, you see.

uploaderror406.jpg
uploaderror406.jpg (53.93 KiB) Viewed 5039 times

Anyways, it must be server related in that case...

Kind regards,
Angela
angelicavenues

Return to 2.x Bugs