Edit templates / settings

A forum for Bolt related questions / issues

Re: Edit templates / settings

Postby ljhelbo » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:30 am

I have been looking at the theme files now and it makes me wonder, if there will be a bolt_essentials.css or something like it?

In the css-files there seems to be a lot of code, which is basically meant to correct odd behavior of different browsers. That is great; but I presume it must be more or less the same in all themes? If this is true, I think it should be packed away in an essentials-file or something like that.
ljhelbo

Re: Edit templates / settings

Postby Bob » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:57 am

ljhelbo wrote:I have been looking at the theme files now and it makes me wonder, if there will be a bolt_essentials.css or something like it?

No, I want the frontend of a Bolt site to be completely agnostic of the backend. If it's up to me, the HTML generated by bolt will contain no traces of Bolt itself. Some users will prefer to use normalize.css, Skeleton, HTML5 Boilerplate or Twitter Bootstrap. Bolt should not interfere with that.

In the css-files there seems to be a lot of code, which is basically meant to correct odd behavior of different browsers. That is great; but I presume it must be more or less the same in all themes? If this is true, I think it should be packed away in an essentials-file or something like that.

That's just because the current default template uses the semantics.gs grid, right? I don't think we should put these in a bolt_essentials.css, because it's not up to Bolt to decide how you want to structure your HTML/CSS.

Currently, the only parts that output HTML that really has to be styled are {{ menu() }} and {{ pager() }}. I want to make those work in such a way, that the output will de defined in the template itself, so that it really becomes part of the theme. Less "black box magic" for users, and more flexibility at the same time.
Bob
Lead Developer

Previous

Return to Bolt Discussion