500 Internal server error

A forum for Bolt related questions / issues

500 Internal server error

Postby elbandido » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:57 am

Since I'm curious about bolt, I installed it on my domain elbandido.be in a subfolder: http://www.elbandido.be/tryout/bolt/

I followed the instructions at http://docs.bolt.cm/setup, and the first issue was SAFE MODE, which I was able to switch off using the .htacess file. Afterwards, I kept getting "500 Internal server error", so I haven't even seen the page to add the first user. As the documentation suggested, this has probably something to do with my .htaccess file. here's the contents of /public_html/tryout/bolt/.htaccess:

Code: Select all
# Set the default handler.
DirectoryIndex index.php index.html index.htm

php_value safe_mode "0"

<FilesMatch "\.(yml|db)$">
    Order deny,allow
    Deny from all
</FilesMatch>

FallbackResource /public_html/tryout/bolt/index.php

I used the RewriteBase/mod_rewrite alternatives (without success) and since my web host runs Apache 2.2.22 I also tried the FallbackResource statement.

From what I understand, the rewrite stuff in .htaccess is to support requests like "page/about-this-website", but is this required to set up the the first user as well? I also tried without any rewrite/fallback stuff in .htacess and I'm still getting the 500 Internal server error.

Additional info: Apache version 2.2.22 / PHP version 5.3.16 / MySQL version 5.1.65-cll, / phpinfo() at http://www.elbandido.be/tryout/version.php

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Pieter.
elbandido

Re: 500 Internal server error

Postby hansfn » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:41 pm

You need to check your web server error log to find out which directive in the .htaccess file is giving you the 500 internal error.
hansfn
Developer

Postby elbandido » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:51 pm

excellent suggestion, thanks!
it turns out that the "php_value safe_mode "0"" in .htaccess was wrong. I removed it, and create a php.ini file to turn off safe mode.

the 500 Internal server error is gone, but now I get the following result when navigating to http://www.elbandido.be/tryout/bolt/

Warning: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Berlin' for 'CEST/2.0/DST' instead in /home/elbandid/public_html/tryout/bolt/app/src/Bolt/Log.php on line 49

[...quite a few more instances of the warning above...]

Fatal error: Class 'PDO' not found in /home/elbandid/public_html/tryout/bolt/vendor/doctrine/dbal/lib/Doctrine/DBAL/Driver/PDOConnection.php on line 32

I don't know if these warning can be safely ignored, but ignoring them wouldn't solve the fatal error at the end...

Any suggestions?
Thanks!
elbandido

Postby Bob » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:38 pm

These warnings can be ignored. The problem is at the bottom: PDO is missing.

Is this a server you've set up yourself? I don't think i've ever seen a server running PHP 5.3 but with safe_mode on.. Anyhow, Bolt requires PDO. Your server is compiled with it, sho you should be able to turn it on in php.ini, right?

extension=pdo.so
extension=pdo_mysql.so
extension=pdo_sqlite.so

Edit: And fix the timezone warning in php.ini, while you're at it:

date.timezone = "Europe/Brussels"
Bob
Lead Developer

Postby elbandido » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:27 am

I'm now at the "Create the first user" page! thanks, Bob!

I'm evaluating Bolt since I'm looking for a replacement CMS for my blog tropicalidad.be which currently runs on Pivot 1.40.4.
elbandido

Postby elbandido » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:38 pm

I had some time to play around with bolt, and I'm pretty impressed. It looks very promising...

The only remaining issue are images, it seems that bolt is unable to handle image requests:

Error!
Message: No route found for "GET /thumbs/800x600/sample6.jpg"
Class: Symfony\Component\HttpKernel\Exception\NotFoundHttpException
Code: 0

call_user_func()
/home/elbandid/public_html/tryout/bolt/vendor/symfony/event-dispatcher/Symfony/Component/EventDispatcher/EventDispatcher.php, line 164

Symfony\Component\EventDispatcher\EventDispatcher->doDispatch()
/home/elbandid/public_html/tryout/bolt/vendor/symfony/event-dispatcher/Symfony/Component/EventDispatcher/EventDispatcher.php, line 53

Symfony\Component\EventDispatcher\EventDispatcher->dispatch()
/home/elbandid/public_html/tryout/bolt/vendor/symfony/http-kernel/Symfony/Component/HttpKernel/HttpKernel.php, line 110

Symfony\Component\HttpKernel\HttpKernel->handleRaw()
/home/elbandid/public_html/tryout/bolt/vendor/symfony/http-kernel/Symfony/Component/HttpKernel/HttpKernel.php, line 73

Symfony\Component\HttpKernel\HttpKernel->handle()
/home/elbandid/public_html/tryout/bolt/vendor/silex/silex/src/Silex/Application.php, line 509

Silex\Application->handle()
/home/elbandid/public_html/tryout/bolt/vendor/silex/silex/src/Silex/Application.php, line 484

Silex\Application->run()
/home/elbandid/public_html/tryout/bolt/index.php, line 6

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Pieter.
elbandido

Postby Bob » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:05 pm

All images should be rewritten to this, in your .htaccess file:

RewriteRule ^thumbs/(.*)?$ ./app/timthumb.php [L]

Did you modify it, perhaps?
Bob
Lead Developer

Postby elbandido » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:25 pm

That solves it, thanks!

I had indeed changed the mod_rewrite block in my .htaccess file, since I was having "500 Internal server error" issues. After some iterations, I tried the "FallbackResource" alternative as suggested in the installation document, but that doesn't work for the thumbails; it might be a good idea to mention this in the installation document.
elbandido

Return to Bolt Discussion