what is 'Kitchensink' entries?

A forum for Bolt related questions / issues

what is 'Kitchensink' entries?

Postby Rene » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:56 am

I'm just trying out Bolt on a localhost install on my Mac OSX 10.6 using MAMP.
intro page wants me to write up some kind of entries and one of the options was 'Kitchensink'.
When pulling up editor for that It seems to have a lot more options.
but I don't get it.... screenshot included.... there also seems to be an option for an included Map....
so what is it? :? :?:
Attachments
Screen shot 2013-12-28 at 6.53.14 PM.png
Kitchensink entry
Screen shot 2013-12-28 at 6.53.14 PM.png (153.75 KiB) Viewed 12809 times
Rene

Re: what is 'Kitchensink' entries?

Postby Harm10 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:28 am

I think it is just a name to illustrate that you can create your own kind of content. So that you are not limited to the content structures normally delivered with a CMS (like the entry and the page).
Quality is in the detail of things............

Want to change or update your PivotX site? Mail or PM me!
I can also convert your site to a Wordpress site!
Harm10
Developer

Postby bart » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:14 pm

"Everything but the kitchen sink" means "everything you could ever think of". It's meant as an example that goes all-out and shows all options. I don't recommend actually using it ;-)
bart

Postby Stark Raving » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:39 pm

Sorry, I'm dense. I don't get it. What other options does it show that isn't in entries or pages? I see a title in the kitchensink over the entries, and there are three: main, meta and other. When I view enties or pages the "other" designation isn't there. So, I don't get it. What the heck is the kitchensink for? Why would I want to view everything?

I think I just answered my question. When I went to Settings >> Contenttypes I saw that "kitchensink" has different attributes (if that is the right word), like "markdown" and "geolocation". Whatever those are. And it also lists all the taxonomies defined in entries and pages: categories, tags and chapters. My thinking is that this is, as Harm suggests, an example to show users that they can set up other contenttypes. Is this right?

The name kitchensink is confusing, because there are such things to be found in wysiwig editing windows: they toggle the editing options above the window. This won't confuse the highend coding master, but it will confuse the newbies, and those who don't know all the crazy idioms of English. Just an observation.

Thank you.
"After I'm dead I would rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one." ~ Cato the Elder

"In heaven all the interesting people are missing." ~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Stark Raving
Silver Sponsor

Postby Bob » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:33 pm

My thinking is that this is, as Harm suggests, an example to show users that they can set up other contenttypes. Is this right?

Correct..

This won't confuse the highend coding master, but it will confuse the newbies, and those who don't know all the crazy idioms of English. Just an observation.

Actually, it turns out to be equally confusing for those who are "highend coding masters" and those who aren't. It was meant to be a 'generic example of all the different fields Bolt provides', but a lot of people don't get it. I've added a short description to it, but if it becomes clear that people still find it confusing, we might remove it from the default distribution altogether.

Update: Hmm, there already _is_ a description in the .yml file for kitchensinks:

Code: Select all
# The 'Kitchensink' is not particularly useful in most cases, but it does a good
# job of showcasing most of the available fieldtypes. Feel free to delete it, or
# copy some fields to your own contenttypes.
# Since no templates are defined for this contenttype, the default record_template,
# listing_template, and related settings are used from config.yml

Suggestions how we should change this to make it more clear what the purpose of the "kitchensinks" contenttype is?
Bob
Lead Developer

Postby Harm10 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:46 pm

Rename Kitchensink (which sounded weird to me from the start) to something like "Allout"?
Quality is in the detail of things............

Want to change or update your PivotX site? Mail or PM me!
I can also convert your site to a Wordpress site!
Harm10
Developer

Postby Stark Raving » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:16 pm

Why not just call it what it is? Generic Example or Generic whatever.
"After I'm dead I would rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one." ~ Cato the Elder

Stark Raving
Silver Sponsor

Postby Stark Raving » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:29 pm

Update: Hmm, there already _is_ a description in the .yml file for kitchensinks:

Yes, however, when new users are just moving around the dashboard and exploring menu items, they won't necessarily be looking for descriptions in the .yml files. They will select the kitchensink menu and then wonder what the hell it is. Then what file would they go to to find the description? And how far would they need to scroll down the file to find the description?

Something that may help is to have the description under the titles of "Overview" and "New" to explain what we are looking at.

Stark Raving
Silver Sponsor

Postby Stark Raving » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:49 pm

Sorry to be going on about this. I'm looking again at the dashboard, and from my point of view as a newbie, I see in the content dropdown three items: entries, pages and kitchensink. My understanding of entries and pages is clear. But not so kitchensink.

When I went to the forum to search for information, I thought somehow that kitchensinks would show everything based on what I read in the posts. But the entries in kitchensink do not include the entries of the other two items. This is how the confusion runs.

Now, I have to reconsider what I suggested on the name "generic" because it isn't. It is a separate entity. Is there any situation where one might want to create anything other than a new entry or page? I mean, what else is there? A gallery or product listing perhaps?

Just wondering.

Stark Raving
Silver Sponsor

Postby Stark Raving » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:07 pm

Final thoughts!

Definitely put a description under the title for the kitchensink overview and new.

So something like:

The kitchensink shows all the available fieldtypes you might want to use in your own contenttype. Feel free to delete this. No templates are defined for this contenttype. The default record_template, listing_template, and related settings used are in the config.yml file.

Otherwise, it is just utterly confusing. It might be wiser to get rid of the kitchensink. It is useful to know what fieldtypes are available. You could have a link to the place in the user manual that lists all the fieldtypes, or maybe even have the user manual available in the dashboard's main menu.

I'm done.
Cheers.

Stark Raving
Silver Sponsor

Next

Return to Bolt Discussion