No Access to Settings

A forum for Bolt related questions / issues

No Access to Settings

Postby Stark Raving » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:13 am

I just updated to 1.4.4 and the login panel said I needed to update the database. I selected the link provided but it asked me to login. So I logged in. There is no alert to update the database on the dashboard. Perhaps the alert should be on the dashboard?

I figured the database update might be in the Settings menu, but the poxy items are greyed out. Does this have something to do with the message at the top of the dashboard?
There should always be at least one 'root' user. You have just been promoted. Congratulations!

What the heck does that mean? I am the ONLY user! I see there are some posts on permissions, so I'll look and see if this may be the problem. I don't see a setting for Users in the main navigation either. Shouldn't there be one?

I'll look around and see if I can find any answers. But please reply if you know or have run into this before.

Thanks.
"After I'm dead I would rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one." ~ Cato the Elder

"In heaven all the interesting people are missing." ~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Stark Raving
Silver Sponsor

Re: No Access to Settings

Postby Stark Raving » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:24 am

And yes, the permissions were set on the folders as instructed to 777.

Cheers
"After I'm dead I would rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one." ~ Cato the Elder

Stark Raving
Silver Sponsor

Postby Stark Raving » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:04 am

OMG. I'm such a dweeb. I refreshed the browser and lo and behold there were MANY menu items under settings, and even one for checking the database, and one for setting user permissions. Sorry for the snarf.

Oddly enough, I checked the db, and it tells me it is up to date. So, why the message on the login window is a mystery.

All is working as it should. Now to read the rest of the user guide and some docs.

Looking fab. Thanks, everyone, for all you hard work.

Stark Raving
Silver Sponsor

Postby Bob » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:25 pm

Oddly enough, I checked the db, and it tells me it is up to date. So, why the message on the login window is a mystery.

For a moment there, you were trapped in a weird bit of no-mansland. In Bolt 1.4 we introduced the "roles and permissions", so what happened was that the moment you logged on after the update, you were automatically upgraded to the 'root' user.
In Bolt 1.3 there were no roles yet, so no users in your DB had that role assigned yet. At the same time, Bolt was displaying the menu's and such, but the visibility of these items was based on the rights in the current session, which is from _right before_ the update.
Same goes for the notice to 'check the database'.. In your case this was done in the background by Bolt, when it updated the users to have the proper roles.

So, long story short: Yes, as you've noticed, refreshing the dashboard fixes this, because it caught up with the session. :-)
Bob
Lead Developer

Return to Bolt Discussion