Some way of using a web editor and view the templates?

A forum for Bolt related questions / issues

Some way of using a web editor and view the templates?

Postby Stark Raving » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:58 am

I don't mind editing online with Bolt, but sometimes running back and forth between browser tabs is a pain. Plus, the css files can't be word wrapped like in a desktop editor. Because the templates are twig files, I can't see them in the browser when opening them from my web editor. Is there some setting I can use to do my editing on Komodo or Dreamweaver and see the results as an html file in Firefox?

I found the post on this forum about Sublime Text 2, but I'm not sure if having this would address the issue, and I don't really want to buy yet more software. I haven't found anything useful from a google search either. Any suggestions?

Thank you.
"After I'm dead I would rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one." ~ Cato the Elder

"In heaven all the interesting people are missing." ~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Stark Raving
Silver Sponsor

Re: Some way of using a web editor and view the templates?

Postby Bob » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:21 pm

Which FTP software do you use? Transmit, perhaps? If so, you can just right-click a file on the server, and "edit in ..." to edit the file in your editor of choice.

Alternatively, you might look into setting up a small webserver on your local machine using Xampp: http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-macosx.html
This way, you can edit the files on your local system, and just cmd-R your browser to see your changes. This is how I do most of the bolt development, by the way.
Bob
Lead Developer

Postby Stark Raving » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:56 am

Thanks, Bob. I have looked into Xamp before and it should do the trick.

You Rock!
"After I'm dead I would rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one." ~ Cato the Elder

Stark Raving
Silver Sponsor

Postby ningus » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:03 pm

Hi Stark, as you mentioned Komodo, nice about Komodo is that it has syntax highlighting for twig and yml files. You can also edit remote projects with it.

Cheers!
ningus

Postby Stark Raving » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:48 am

Ningus, I haven't done remote editing in Komodo, but I'm going to try it.

Bob, I got the Fatal Error message when I tried to open my bolt site folder. I did a google search and found the #633 fix (the simpler fix) on Github. What do I do with it? I mean, I take it I download the file, but what folder do I put it in?

Thank you.

Stark Raving
Silver Sponsor

Return to Bolt Discussion