Minimal installation for live/production web site

A forum for Bolt related questions / issues

Minimal installation for live/production web site

Postby anto » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:25 pm

Hello Everybody,

This is my first post on this forum, so greeting to all of you.

First of all, I really appreciate the efforts that have been put in by the development team especially Bob, and share Bolt CMS to the public.

I am just a hobbyist so I am not a web developer or web designer. I always want to have a decent web site which is easy to manage, so that is my main objective to be here.

I have been trying quite a lot of CMS' from Drupal, Wordpress, Joomla, ModX, CMSMadeSimple, Wolf CMS and a lot others, but so far none of them really fits my needs. My main requirement are that the CMS must be written in PHP, it supports Nginx and SQLite, it must be modular so I can add functionalities that I need but the core must be as small or light as possible. There are indeed other requirements but I don't think it is necessary to list them on this first post. As long as it is modular with good documentations, I think I can find the workarounds.

I recently tried Wolf CMS which fits all of those requirements. But I was stuck with the possibility to have dynamic Homepage as in Wolf CMS the Homepage is the root of all other pages. So instead of trying to build a plug-in for Wolf CMS, last Sunday I tried to install Bolt.cm. It seems it fits all my main requirements and I can have the dynamic Homepage. The only thing that I noticed is that, it does not have the functionality to generate static file cache and its corresponding compressed file. Maybe that is because I don't know a lot about Bolt yet, so I could not find any extension which provides that functionality. But the documentation is quite good, so I might be able to build the extension that I need.

I also noticed that there are quite a lot of files in Bolt installation which I think they are not necessary to have for live/production web sites. They are indeed very good to have in the development of the web site. The total size of my initial Bolt installation is only about 115 MB, so it is quite light weight. But I am wondering of which files are necessary to have for the live/production web site and which ones that we can remove. Could anybody give me suggestions on this?

Thanks a a lot in advance for your help.

Kind regards,

Anto
anto

Return to Bolt Discussion