Question about strings to edit

A forum for Bolt related questions / issues

Question about strings to edit

Postby kaitnieks » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:52 pm

Webapps and pages tend to have common strings - page title, copyright text, submit button name etc. It would be cool if I could somehow make these editable (by customer not only programmer). What would be the best way to go about this in Bolt? Thanks!
kaitnieks

Re: Question about strings to edit

Postby dpfavand » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:37 pm

Not at all sure if this is the best way to go, but this is how I might go about it, depending on the client and the project:

Create a content-type "settingrecord" with all the fields you want. Create a record of type "settingrecord" in the admin back-end.

Use a code like
Code: Select all
{% setcontent sitesettings = 'settingrecord/first/1' returnsingle %}
at the beginning of the template. This will use the oldest record of content-type "settingrecord" - likely but not always 'settingrecord/1'.

Then you should be able to access fields like
Code: Select all
{{ sitesettings.field }}
and manipulate them like any standard field.

This has the advantage that it only makes use of existing admin interfaces and common code.

It has several disadvantages:

The possibility of having multiple "settingrecord" records could be confusing to the user. If multiple records of "settingarray" are created, only the oldest published one will be used. (Using settingrecord/first/1 ensures that you don't hard-code a reference to a particular record in your template, allowing your user to delete a settingrecord record, create a new one, and still have the functionality.) The user will also have to create and publish that record in order for the site to work properly unless you have fall-back defaults.

You might want to restrict edit permissions for the content-type "settingrecord" if the site has multiple admins.

You will also want to set specific templates for the record and listing display for "settingrecord" so they don't expose your internal site settings - maybe redirect them to the homepage or something.

I'm sure there's a more elegant way to do this with a plugin, but this might work for some projects. Note I haven't actually tried this code, but I'm fairly sure it should work.
Bolt-based site(s): http://us.phoneplanchoices.com.
dpfavand

Postby kaitnieks » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:49 pm

This isn't a bad idea. I guess the problem with multiple records could be solved by not giving create and delete permissions.
kaitnieks

Postby zohaa » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:48 am

it is working. Tengs a lot ningus. You are really the star. :)
zohaa

Return to Bolt Discussion