Questions about Routing

A forum for Bolt related questions / issues

Questions about Routing

Postby igkouts » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:02 am

Hi all,

I've just started using Bolt and I'd like someone to help me out with the following questions:

1. I'm currently using categories for taxonomy and thus I have urls like <my_site>/categories/dogs, <my_site>/categories/cats etc. I'd like to either hide the /categories/ part or at least to change its name in the url. Changing the conenttype attribute creates inconsistencies with the database which already has a lot of records. Is there any other way to do this?
2. I think that serving the <my_site>/pages url, is quite useless from a visitors point of view. After all, that's why we use menus! So I was wondering if there is a way to redirect this route to homepage or a 404 page.
3. This is more a general question about the framework and not about Bolt itself, but I'd like to know if there is a way to further protect the bolt/ login page. For example using traditional CMSs like Joomla! or Drupal, we can password-protect the admin directories with Apache's .htaccess. The only solution I can think of is changing the bolt/ option in branding section of config.yml to something more 'cryptic', but I'd like to know if we can use another option.

Thanks in advance,
igkouts

Re: Questions about Routing

Postby jhice » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:57 am

Hi,

1. Have you looked at the NiceUrls extension ? "This NiceUrls extension is a pure code extension which allows for custom routes without the pre-defined 'page', 'entry' or 'kitchensink' part or other friendly URLs structure."

2. Perhaps with NiceUrls, or Redirector (does a 301) or routing (don't know how). In the htaccess files it should work.

3. Good question :)
jhice

Return to Bolt Discussion