PivotX installation problems

Get help with installation and running PivotX 2.0.x here. Please do not post Extension or Theme related questions here.

PivotX installation problems

Postby Winjer » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:20 pm

Okay, I officially admit I'm too dumb to update to beta 7. This is the 2nd time I have tried it - both times I have completely fucked up my installation.

Error message:
Code: Select all
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_ARRAY, expecting ')' in /home/web222/hkom02/ftproot/der-privatanleger.de/pivotx/lib.php on line 5252

Isn't updating really simple? Like unzipping the folders and uploading them, replacing the old files and folders? I have succeeded with updating before, but for some reason I'm unable to get it right now.

Anyone able to help despite my cryptic description of the problem?

ps: I'm running beta 4 at the moment.
Winjer

Re: PivotX installation and safe mode / PivotX Setup

Postby Harm10 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:43 am

I normally download the zip file, extract all files and compare them with a compare tool to find those files that are changed. This seems like a lot of work but in this way you only introduce the updates and also can keep track of your own changes that you have to reimplement. Works for me!
Quality is in the detail of things............

Want to change or update your PivotX site? Mail or PM me!
I can also convert your site to a Wordpress site!
Harm10
Developer

Postby Winjer » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:04 pm

That sounds like a sensible thing to do - thanks a lot! Which compare tool do you use?
Winjer

Postby Harm10 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:44 pm

Winjer wrote:Which compare tool do you use?
I use Beyond Compare http://www.scootersoftware.com/. I still have version 2 but I see version 3 is already there!
Quality is in the detail of things............

Want to change or update your PivotX site? Mail or PM me!
I can also convert your site to a Wordpress site!
Harm10
Developer

Postby lulu » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:15 am

mcwhittemore wrote:
File was empty - wrong (or incomplete) URL?

I have tried to upload PX using this tool with both the URL and the zip file on my desktop but both return the above error.

Note: I am using this tool because after trying uploading with ftp I have been unable to get past the dashboard. Say I want to post something I click entries, new post and PX asks me to login again and then redirects me to the dashboard.

safe_mode is off

:D Hello Everyone, I just finished my very first install of the Dreadwind version of Pivot. It all went surprisingly well, even for a total tech dummy who's never even touched CHMOD before! Now I find that it's already obsolete (?) and PivotX is all the rage. I had the exact same problem Mr. McWhittemore had, with the "file empty" error message. What's up with that? I created a new directory for PivotX so as not to break the other version which I have ready to use and really don't want to muck up. I need to play around and get used to it, plus I'm confused about the upgrade.

I just stopped after seeing the above error, not at all sure what to do next! Is it OK to use the old version or should I really have PX? (maybe Dreadwind isn't supported now?) I'm an older adult and therefore easily befuddled by a huge learning curve... :shock:
lulu

Postby hansfn » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:31 am

Hello, lulu. When you installed the Dreadwind version of Pivot, did you use Pivot Setup or did you just upload manually with FTP? The reason I'm asking is that PivotX Setup is (of course) based on Pivot Setup and I would expect either both or none of them to work. You don't have to use PivotX Setup - just follow the normal install instructions.

Yes, you should switch to PivotX. Pivot is outdated and will not be maintained. (Pivot does indeed work - many sites still use it, but starting an new site with Pivot isn't recommended.)
hansfn
Developer

Postby lulu » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:22 pm

Hi There... I just installed manually following the directions on the setup pages. Wasn't at all certain how to "use command line" and thereby avoid using FTP. Doing it manually was fine with me. Since that was successful (GO, ME!) I suppose I should go ahead and install PX manually too. ...Okay, I just bookmarked your link. I'm eager to get started. I think PX is gonna rock my socks! :D

[EDIT] Uh-Ohh!! At the page on "Getting the Files and Installing", after I downloaded the zip file, I discovered that it is "either invalid or corrupted"...in other words, it's broken... aw man... Help? What seems to be happening is the zip file is not downloading correctly for me. It's 1.9 MB but only downloads about half way. :cry:

see ya~

LuLu
lulu

Postby hansfn » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:18 am

Just try to download again. I tested now, just to be sure, and it worked for me.
hansfn
Developer

Postby lulu » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:30 pm

Awww man... :x

Yep, tried a fresh download, even used Firefox download helper addon...thought that would help....still no luck! I don't know that I've ever had a prob like this before. Yesterday I got as far as about halfway, today only about 1/4 of the file downloads. So frustrating, when I'm sure installing would be very easy! Install of the Dreadwind version was not difficult (even for me).

[Edit] Finally got it to download by using this link:

http://php.opensourcecms.com/scripts/de ... ame=PivotX

For some strange reason the link here at the forum just will not cooperate for me...but this other one did, hoorray!!!

Now for the actual setting up...

LuLu
lulu

Postby hansfn » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:07 pm

The download link on http://php.opensourcecms.com redirects to the same link that didn't work for you ... Good luck with the setup.
hansfn
Developer

Next

Return to 2.x Support Forum