Negatives of the new interface

Get help with installation and running PivotX 2.0.x here. Please do not post Extension or Theme related questions here.

Negatives of the new interface

Postby nixande » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:25 pm

I have installed the stuff in a testdomain and have a bunch of questions and feedback, but this is an alpha version and it is just a peak, so I rather do not keep people up with talk about features which will be programmed later or so.

Looking through what I would give as feedback, I have boiled it down to stuff which is coming new as well is not likely to be changed and which come very negative to me.

Major: Both test and real blog are running on dreamhost, the new version is noticable slower. I hope from what i read that the cached pages will take care of that. But it is much more annoying in the interface and there it will not change.

Major: I am utterly annoyed with the way the configuration settings are trying to save everything as soon as i move my mouse. Despite this being an absolute guaranty for desaster by accidental deleting and such, making trying to change something impossible weird, it also annoying slows down the interface. I do not need a save every time I just want to check on one of the dropdowns. AND it makes the interface slower. There is a reason to have an option to say 'save now' and not do save automatically once you change a tab.

Minor: It is good to have a help in every page, but the icons are too small, you have to hit them precisely. I have seen alternatives where when you touch one of the fields, it will stay visible as long as you are in that field.

Major: Template editing comes with a stupid "show me in 30% of the page" popup editor, efficient editing of files online is not possible with this as trying to open them up in a new window. I appreciate very much the additional toolbar for easier editing but PLEASE! this is not a beauty contest of how to most nicely pop up a bit of a page, but it is done for editing reasons. IF you edit templates you need to see a lot of the content meaning as much on the page as you can get to make the settings and not have to scroll several pages just to get through the files. And who please wants to edit one page at a time?

Minor: Mod-rewrite does not work for the filenames, I assume this is not implemented yet, and I agree with Hans with making that more pluggable, that is one of the major things I need to tweak every time in php with a new pivot install.

Minor: I can't find a "view this site" link.

Summary so far: I have tried to work a bit around this some days now. But this is not convincing to me at all. I rather stay with the current version of pivot and if I have to go beyond that, I rather go with wordpress. There i have the downside of burden on the server due to mysql, but at least with a working interface.

Saying that I am fully aware of the effort and time which goes into such a rewrite, and yes, per se the interface is nice looking and all. I adore the way it may be possible for the future to have easier plugins and such, but the above downsides alone will not make up for the fact that I still can have flat files. :(
nixande

Re: Negatives of the new interface

Postby Bob » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:52 pm

Major: Both test and real blog are running on dreamhost, the new version is noticable slower. I hope from what i read that the cached pages will take care of that. But it is much more annoying in the interface and there it will not change.

Caching is one thing, the other things are optimisation of the SQL queries and streamlining the different javascript files we use.

But, the admin interface istelf is not slow by any means now, i think. If you turn on debug, you'll see a timer in the bottom right corner. For me it usually says something like "0.200 sec, 700kb".. What's it say there on your setup?

Major: I am utterly annoyed with the way the configuration settings are trying to save everything as soon as i move my mouse. Despite this being an absolute guaranty for desaster by accidental deleting and such, making trying to change something impossible weird, it also annoying slows down the interface.

Noted. I'm not sure either if it is the best way to do it like this.

Minor: It is good to have a help in every page, but the icons are too small, you have to hit them precisely. I have seen alternatives where when you touch one of the fields, it will stay visible as long as you are in that field.

I'll see if we can come up with a better way to show these.

Major: Template editing comes with a stupid "show me in 30% of the page" popup editor, efficient editing of files online is not possible with this as trying to open them up in a new window. I appreciate very much the additional toolbar for easier editing but PLEASE! this is not a beauty contest of how to most nicely pop up a bit of a page, but it is done for editing reasons.

We use thickbox now to edit files/templates. Supposedly there will be a newer version of it, together with Jquery UI which allows us greater control over how it works (like, configurable margins, and the option to make it '90% wide' instead of a fixed number of pixels.

If this isn't added soon, i'll make a workaround so you can edit files full screen.

Minor: Mod-rewrite does not work for the filenames, I assume this is not implemented yet, and I agree with Hans with making that more pluggable, that is one of the major things I need to tweak every time in php with a new pivot install.

Certainly.

Minor: I can't find a "view this site" link.

Below the Pivot logo, in the top left.

Summary so far: I have tried to work a bit around this some days now. But this is not convincing to me at all. I rather stay with the current version of pivot and if I have to go beyond that, I rather go with wordpress. There i have the downside of burden on the server due to mysql, but at least with a working interface.

Sorry you feel that way. We're aware that it's not perfect yet, but I _am_ committed to making it the best I can. Just stick around and i'm confident that you'll find it to be better with each alpha release.
Bob
Lead Developer

Return to 2.x Support Forum