PivotX installation and safe mode / PivotX Setup

Get help with installation and running PivotX 2.0.x here. Please do not post Extension or Theme related questions here.

Re: PivotX installation and safe mode / PivotX Setup

Postby mcwhittemore » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:49 pm

File was empty - wrong (or incomplete) URL?

I have tried to upload PX using this tool with both the URL and the zip file on my desktop but both return the above error.

Note: I am using this tool because after trying uploading with ftp I have been unable to get past the dashboard. Say I want to post something I click entries, new post and PX asks me to login again and then redirects me to the dashboard.

safe_mode is off
mcwhittemore

Postby hansfn » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:57 pm

Sorry for the late reply, mcwhittemore. It seems your server is crippled in some sense - probably to increase security. I think I would need FTP access to diagnose this more.
hansfn
Developer

Postby Elgervdwel » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:32 pm

I used this setup tool to install the old version of Pivot X (with the /pivot-dir). When I tried to update it using the tool that was on my server it went terribly wrong (because it uses de /pivotx-dir). I recovered it a bit, but I want too update to the newest version as soon as possible. How can I do this with this install-tool?
Elgervdwel

Postby hansfn » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:45 pm

Yes, you are correct that updating won't work for people who have used the betas (where PivotX was in the "pivot" folder, in stead of the more appropriate "pivotx"). I'll add a warning to the initial post and update the script as soon as possible.

The best way to upgrade is to:
1) make a copy of pivot/db (and any modified templates in pivot/templates)
2) make a fresh install of the latest PivotX - maybe wait for the RC coming tomorrow
3) replace pivotx/db with pivot/db (and any modified templates)

If you can't use FTP in step 3 because of safe-mode, make a zip file with the correct structure and install it using PivotX Setup.
hansfn
Developer

Postby hansfn » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:27 am

I'm happy to announce version 1.4.0 which (finally) supports PivotX 2.0.0. I have tested and installing and upgrading works very nicely.

See the first post in the forum thread for download and instructions.
hansfn
Developer

Postby Cor » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:37 pm

Two questions:
  • I do not know why, but the file rights on my folders have changed. Since the file are owned by Pivotx-setup, I can't change them in my FTP program. Is there a way to chmod folders recursively in PivotX-Setup, instead of one by one?
  • On my webserver they had PHP4 as well as PHP5 (as CGI). To use the Formbuilder extensions, I've turned PHP4 off, making PHP5 the default. But now PivotX Setup isn't allowed to CHMOD my files, so I have to turn on PHP4 to use PivotX Setup. Is this normal behaviour?
Cor

Postby hansfn » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:25 pm

Since the file are owned by Pivotx-setup.

The files aren't owned by PivotX-setup, but by the web server user. Why do you need to change the permissions anyway?

No, I don't see any reason PivotX should run under PHP5 - AFAIK it does. What is the error message?
hansfn
Developer

Postby Cor » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:50 pm

Yeah sorry, that's what i meant...
But, as I already said, the permissions have changed, I do not know how or why. That's why I had to CHMOD them back to 777, since it gives a fatal error in PivotX when /pivotx/db/ isn't readable.

When PHP4 was turned off, pivotx-setup gets error 550 permission denied, when trying to chmod the files.
Cor

Postby hansfn » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:34 pm

The 550 error isn't because PivotX Setup doesn't work on PHP5. It's because the sysadmin of the webserver has configured PHP5 differently than PHP4.

If you can't fix the permission of the files, just use FTP - download the complete pivotx folder and re-upload it again (after having renamed the pivotx folder to pivotx-old).
hansfn
Developer

Postby hansfn » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:20 am

FYI: I have just split thread - creating a new thread called simply PivotX installation problems. Please use that thread if your questions is about installations problems in general and not safe-mode/PivotX Setup.
hansfn
Developer

PreviousNext

Return to 2.x Support Forum