PivotX installation and safe mode / PivotX Setup

Get help with installation and running PivotX 2.0.x here. Please do not post Extension or Theme related questions here.

PivotX installation and safe mode / PivotX Setup

Postby hansfn » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:20 pm

Before continuing, read the Dealing with Safemode section of our documentation.

Reading the forum I notice that people still struggle with safe mode. I have therefore ported Pivot Setup, to PivotX - attached to this post you'll find PivotX Setup. Using it will solve all safe mode problems - when PivotX for some mysterious reason can't write files (uploading images, setting up the first user and so on). Do the following:

1. Unzip the file attached to this post, open it in a text editor and set the password.
  2. Upload the file to the directory on your server where you plan to install PivotX. This directory must (temporarily) be chmod to 777.
  3. Open the file in your browser - example.org/pivotx-setup.php, select the wanted version and then install.
  4. You are done - no need to chmod images, pivotx/db and pivotx/templates. (You might want to remove the 777 persmission you set in step one.)

PS1! This script is actually nice for installing PivotX even if you don't struggle with safe mode.

PS2! If you install with this script, you should use the script to upgrade too.
Attachments
pivotx-setup-1-4-1.zip
(10.9 KiB) Downloaded 595 times
hansfn
Developer

Re: PivotX installation and safe mode / PivotX Setup

Postby Bob » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:42 pm

Awesome, Hans!

But, maybe we should consider upping the version number to 2.0, to keep in sync with the pivotx version?
Bob
Lead Developer

Postby hansfn » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:43 pm

This tool lives it's own life and will quickly get out of sync with the Pivot version number anyway, so I prefer keeping the number used for Pivot Setup - so people know what to expect. (The porting basically meant removing features not needed when using PivotX.)
hansfn
Developer

Postby Bob » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:51 pm

True, true. :-)

Let's leave it like it is then!
Bob
Lead Developer

Postby andyash » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:21 pm

I have installed PivotX in a secondary domain on my multi domain hosting server. I tried ToendsCMS there but it didn't work at all. Then I uploaded PivotX and it installed. My happiness was shortlived when I found that activating mod_rewrite created link problems and all pages showed as not found. I renamed example.htaccess to .htaccess but it gave server error messages deactivating my entire site. I guess this is some subfolder issue. Then I remembered that I have another such subfolder where my wordpress blog is working fine with clean urls. I checked its .htacces. The problem was the "php_flag" statements in PivotX's .htaccess file. Removing/commenting them, fixed the problems.

Slightly edited by hansfn
andyash

Postby seb » Sun May 18, 2008 10:16 am

I installed pivotx with the import instruction of my old log data. So then this install instruction above doesn't work. What should I do now. In my standard pivot directory (old pivot) I do not have the problem with safe mode, but don't know exact what I did for that the!? Was it a special .httacces file? Can I use the same trick for my /x/ directory?

Thanks
seb

Postby hansfn » Sun May 18, 2008 12:21 pm

Normally, you can't turn off safe-mode inside the .htaccess file so I doubt that is why it works in Pivot. Probably you have just forgotten because it's only a problem every time Pivot has to create a new db/standard-NNNNN directory.

Edited - removed old/wrong upgrading instructions.
hansfn
Developer

Postby seb » Fri May 23, 2008 7:01 am

Uh... I copied in my old Db directories and the cfg files. And now when I start pivot dashboard, I still see a safe mode warning on the right side!

see http://www.nssen.se/x2/pivot/index.php?page=entries
and use the same password as for ftp.
seb

Postby hansfn » Fri May 23, 2008 8:24 am

Yes, the warning will always be there unless you ignore it - see "ignore_safe_mode" in our documentation.

Was it just the warning that you talked about all the time? People with real safe-mode problems are unable to run Pivot/PivotX.
hansfn
Developer

Postby seb » Sat May 24, 2008 8:09 pm

uhhh... yes I think it was!

But thanks for your efforts...
seb

Next

Return to 2.x Support Forum