Im so overwhelmed!!

Get help with installation and running PivotX 2.0.x here. Please do not post Extension or Theme related questions here.

Im so overwhelmed!!

Postby tafleming2016 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:08 am

Much overwhelm! Its great, but I dont know left from right right now. Maybe you can answer a few simple questions for me....

Can I use CSS3 to set up my page? I cant seem to upload my css into the templates...

I want this to match the page Ive already coded... you know, my main index.htm page? Its got a ton of javascript and jquery all crazy effects and snazzle. How do I go about adding my custom jquery links and header to pivotx?

Am I supposed to change the colors and all that in the pivotx admin page or sift through the code by hand? Im kindve new to php. I can do hello world, does that count as intermediate? :P

Im so very lost, all I really want is to use my css and jquery snaz at the top of the page for links. Do I just go into the template files with dreamweaver and start playing around with one thats closest to what I want? Is that how this works??

Thanks everyone!! So confuse!
tafleming2016

Re: Im so overwhelmed!!

Postby Harm10 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:53 am

I assume you are talking about customising your web lay-out? (Because you are talking about the admin page...... ?)
Most of the themes have a separate header template. That's the place to put your own styles and scripts.
Obviously those files should be within the range of the theme so put them in the folder of the theme itself.
Be aware that PivotX runs jQuery in nonconflict mode (in short that means that some of the $ characters in your own scripts should be replaced by jQuery).

If you need more help than you should post your problem in more detail so we can point out where you should change something.
Quality is in the detail of things............

Want to change or update your PivotX site? Mail or PM me!
I can also convert your site to a Wordpress site!
Harm10
Developer

Postby tafleming2016 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:04 pm

ok yes. Thank you. I am not trying to customize my admin page. you are correct. haha. So Ive put my css file into the templates and templates_internal folder, but while in the admin page, I create a new page and the pulldown menu that has templates does not show the css file.

If I go to Manage Media>Templates, I do see the css file. Which made me think I need to figure out how to make a TPL file.

You know what, nevermind! Im going to learn about these TPL files. Yes, the header file is exactly what I needed. Ok, Im starting to understand now. Ive got my JQuery in there like swimwear.

Can you give me a quick rundown of how I change a few things?
1. I want two background images. One is my banner. The other is my background. Really, Im just confused about what file to put my code in. And I was using CSS3, now Im using these Template files....
2. The banner on PivotX. How/Where do I change that?

I guess thats really all I need to know. Thanks!!!! Cheers!
tafleming2016

Postby Harm10 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:41 pm

You really have to study the structure of your theme files.
As I do not know which one your are using I can only give general advice.
Most themes have all .tpl (or .html when they are older) files in the theme folder.
The css and image files are most of the times in the subfolders.
As you seem to have found the header.tpl you should be able to deduce from its content what styles are used and where they are located.
Most of the times the pivotx general style is included.
If you do not understand the coding in the template becuase of some tags or variables you can also look in the source of the web page that uses that template.
Then those tags and variables have been "translated".

Study theme Skinny for starters because that is a very basic one.
Quality is in the detail of things............

Want to change or update your PivotX site? Mail or PM me!
I can also convert your site to a Wordpress site!
Harm10
Developer

Postby tafleming2016 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:51 pm

ok I think Ill get it. I was using default/page_2column. Im experimenting with others.

Looks like skinny is the one Im going with. I have my backgrounds and JQ links.

I think Im good now. I feel like I see the pyramid now. I should be able to handle this now.

Thanks friend!
tafleming2016

Return to 2.x Support Forum