Performance, PHP 5.5 and Extensions

Get help with installation and running PivotX 2.0.x here. Please do not post Extension or Theme related questions here.

Performance, PHP 5.5 and Extensions

Postby gishan » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:41 am

Hi,
I have upgraded to the latest PivotX. Is it compatible with PHP 5.5? I've heard PHP 5.5 is great in the performance wise. It has its own opcode cache too. I am still unable to get it worked in PHP 5.5, gives 500 internal server error. Could you let me know what are the required PHP extensions to run PivotX? I am running a kind of a moderate to high traffic website with pivot. So performance really matters me to reduce the page load time. PHP 5.3, WinCache, IIS output caching and MySQL query cache does me fine right now. IIS output caching reduces the load time from 500 ms to even 10-20ms but the problem is when I enable it PivotX is not storing new comments (hash cash goes mad). I've been using PivotX for more than 3 years now. So these are the problems and things I've done so far.

Do you have any suggestions to increase performance in PivotX with or without PHP 5.5, MySQL tricks or anything else? :idea:

Thanks.
gishan

Re: Performance, PHP 5.5 and Extensions

Postby hansfn » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:36 am

Just a quick reply for now: If your server gives you a 500 internal server error, you can easily find the cause by looking in the webserver error log.

I don't remember (or even know) exactly which PHP extension that PivotX requires, but the following is needed (according to the FreeBSD port): session gettext xml tokenizer gd pcre
hansfn
Developer

Postby gishan » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:43 am

Hi, thanks. I checked the logs. But PHP 5.5 haven't created any error log to the log path I have given. So I have no idea yet where it goes wrong. Other apps works fine with 5.5. Anyway I am trying to rectify the issue. I shall enable PHP errors and see. You have any suggestions regarding the performance?
gishan

Postby hansfn » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:03 pm

You could try to use the nocache tag around the comment form to make output caching work with HashCash spam protection.
hansfn
Developer

Postby gishan » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:03 pm

Thanks..
gishan

Return to 2.x Support Forum