Moved Pivotx site to New Server - not working

Get help with installation and running PivotX 2.0.x here. Please do not post Extension or Theme related questions here.

Moved Pivotx site to New Server - not working

Postby Rudy » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:43 pm

Hello

I am a developer, yet a complete newbie to PivotX.

A friend asked me to move her site to a new server host and simply, it is not working.

I believe the last developer/host involved messed up the file structure - and it had been hacked previously as well.

The old visual URL used to read http://www.patquigley.ca/CMS/index.php - which means for some reason the developer moved the default root to the CMS folder. Why? Don't know.
I have a sub-directory re-direct pointing to the index.php file in the CMS folder.

I am confused by the .htaccess files all over the place - maybe thats whats messing things up?

As of last on the other host, It was working fine, but now its only showing text content, not loading the .css, images, etc. I transferred the site using Filezilla.
Seems like the CSS is not loading.

- should normal pivotx based sites point directly to the index.php file in the CMS folder?
- is there configurations I need to do - to activate the site?

Any help would be appreciated by this newbie.

Kind thanks
Rudy
Rudy

Re: Moved Pivotx site to New Server - not working

Postby hansfn » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:40 pm

Since the admin interface displays OK, this shouldn't be hard to fix.

Hm, did you fix it when I wrote this message? The site seems fine now.
hansfn
Developer

Postby Rudy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:30 pm

this msg wont delete...
Last edited by Rudy on Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rudy

Postby Rudy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:01 pm

hansfn wrote:Since the admin interface displays OK, this shouldn't be hard to fix.

Hm, did you fix it when I wrote this message? The site seems fine now.

Hi and thanks for replying!

Yes, the interface works BUT only the main page (index.php) is loading up. The menu links are not working to associated pages.

I did try uploading just the CSS folder again yesterday at some point but it appeared to not be working after the fact.
This is progress, but now I need to figure out why the additional pages are not loading from the menu. Page not found.

Maybe I will have to learn PivotX at this rate.

Thanks so much
Rudy
Rudy

Postby hansfn » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:50 pm

The reason links don't work is that the the links contain "/cms/" in the path. If the former developer had used the link tag instead of creating the links manually, you wouldn't have to update any links.

No, you shouldn't learn PivotX. New sites should be build with Bolt (coming from the same people that created PivotX) or Wordpress. PivotX is good enough, but no longer developed. (There will be bug and security fixes for some years though.)
hansfn
Developer

Postby Rudy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:04 pm

hansfn wrote:The reason links don't work is that the the links contain "/cms/" in the path. If the former developer had used the link tag instead of creating the links manually, you wouldn't have to update any links.
No, you shouldn't learn PivotX. New sites should be build with Bolt (coming from the same people that created PivotX) or Wordpress. PivotX is good enough, but no longer developed. (There will be bug and security fixes for some years though.)

Thanks for the heads up! I will check out BOLT at some point for sure.

Whats the best solution to changing the links to remove the /cms root do you think? Maybe the PivotX console - globally (and ideally)? I can do it manually in code, but I am having a hard time locating the associated files for the menu and i guess I would have to change every link on every page...Its a bit confusing :)

Looks like you are in Norway! That's cool. I am part Norwegian.

Cheers
Last edited by Rudy on Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rudy

Postby hansfn » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:15 pm

Yes, I'm Norwegian.When you are logged into PivotX, navigate to the Pages overview, locate the front page and edit it.
hansfn
Developer

Return to 2.x Support Forum