Translation request

Get help with installation and running PivotX 2.0.x here. Please do not post Extension or Theme related questions here.

Translation request

Postby hansfn » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:01 pm

If you are interested in translating PivotX to your language:

1) Visit our translation statistics.
2) Visit our translation docs on how to contribute.
3) Send the new/updated translation to translations@pivotx.net

We are very grateful for any effort you can put into translating PivotX or improving existing translations.

PS! Some of the existing translations are mostly based on the Pivot translations and hence are in a sorry state.
hansfn
Developer

Re: Translation request

Postby janozaurus » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:33 am

Hi Hans,
are those .po files up to date as far as the English strings are concerned? Can I download de.po (German), edit the German part and email the result back to you?
janozaurus

Postby hansfn » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:22 am

The stats are generated daily (see footer), and the po file links are directly to our source code repository which is always up-to-date.

PS! It might be a good idea if people post in this thread if they start on translation so not several people do the same work at the same time.
hansfn
Developer

Postby janozaurus » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:38 pm

I translated the missing strings for German. The PO file is attached.

However many things are still unclear or inconsistent in the German translation. This needs testing and fine tuning.

Edited by hansfn: Removed attachment to avoid having outdated files in this thread - use the links in the first post to get the current translations.
janozaurus

Postby hansfn » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:08 pm

Thx a lot for the improved translation. It is already submitted and the stats updated.

PS! Please send the po files by e-mail (as explained in the docs).
hansfn
Developer

Postby hansfn » Wed May 13, 2009 1:16 pm

Bump!
We've just released PivotX 2.0 RC2. This is the final Release Candidate, before we release PivotX 2.0 final on monday the 18th.

Sorry about the short notice. The quote is taken from http://pivotx.net/archive/2009/05/12/pivotx-rc-2
hansfn
Developer

Postby vdm » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:00 pm

What about single words that is better to maintain in the same form (e.g., Permalink)? Should I put the same also in the translation, or the localization software just uses the original one if a translation is not present?
Thanks.
vdm

Postby hansfn » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:16 pm

If a translation is missing, the original string is used so there is no harm in leaving out the translation. However, the stats will show it as untranslated so I would repeat the unchanged string if that is what is used in your language.
hansfn
Developer

Postby vdm » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:29 am

I'm just going to finish the Italian translation.
I have a couple of style questions:
- do you like Wordpress terminology compatibility, or in case of doubtful translations, do you like a PivotX way? I ask this mainly for two main concepts: "entry" and "dashboard". Entry is a very neutral term, that in the current PO file is (was) translated with "messaggio" (message). Italian Wordpress translation is "articolo" (article), which I like more, because messages are a little too oriented towards direct communication. No easy direct translation is possible. Dashboard in Wordpress is translated as "bacheca" , which literally is noticeboard or also showcase. In this case I do not like it much, and I would rather prefer the literal "cruscotto" (car dashboard, that gives and idea of central control point or so; starts to be used in data warehouse software systems). At the end, what do you prefer as developer? Easy comparison to Wordpress, or some PivotX specific choice?
- I'm not able to locate some sentences in PivotX, so it is difficult to understand the context: e.g., "lest we forget", official and previous contributors, etc. Can you give me some hint where to look at?

Thanks.
vdm

Postby hansfn » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:55 am

The translation is really all your decision... Since many people are used to WordPress I agree that it makes sense to look carefully at what WP is using. However, we don't try to be WP like. When it comes to "entry" and "dashboard", I agree with your reasoning.

Yes, we generate the PO files with locations. The reason is that strings from the templates would be incorrect located. Anyway, you are looking for the page example.com/pivotx/?page=about
hansfn
Developer

Next

Return to 2.x Support Forum