From the old Pivot to the new Pivot

Get help with installation and running PivotX 2.0.x here. Please do not post Extension or Theme related questions here.

From the old Pivot to the new Pivot

Postby gwbonline » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:28 am

Hi,

I'm working on a new website (in the old Pivot) and I want to make the transition to Pivot X. What is the best thing to do? Copy all my templates to the new Pivot and insert the tags that are in the templates of the new Pivot? I have some entries, but those I can create new in Pivot X. Is it easy to go over?

Willem
gwbonline

Re: From the old Pivot to the new Pivot

Postby Bob » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:17 pm

The current state is that flat-files entries are totally compatible between 1.40 and 2.0. (just make sute the chmods are correct and rebuild the index)

Converting entries from 1.40 flat files to 2.0 mysql works pretty good, but (obviously) only one way..

The templates are a bit different, but if you know how the 1.40 templates work, then templates in 2.0 will only be easier and more logical.

If you're an experienced user, you also might consider just starting in Pivotx2. This weekend the last alpha will be released, and in one month the first beta.
Bob
Lead Developer

Postby gwbonline » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:12 pm

I use Pivot for several years now and I think I'm experienced. But I have to get used to the new Pivot. So I can:

- copy the entry files to the new Pivot (from the old pivot/db to the new pivot/db)
- and use the tags from the new Pivot in my own created templates
- then rebuild to make it work
gwbonline

Postby Bob » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:44 pm

- copy the entry files to the new Pivot (from the old pivot/db to the new pivot/db)

yup.

- and use the tags from the new Pivot in my own created templates

yup. Just look at the bare-bones or 'default' templates that come with the alpha, and you'll see how it works.

- then rebuild to make it work

You don't have to rebuild in PivotX 2. :-)

(just leave caching and speedy off, while you're working on your templates)
Bob
Lead Developer

Postby hansfn » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:41 pm

I have written some docs that covers this topic - visit Converting from Pivot to PivotX in our Wiki.
hansfn
Developer

Postby gwbonline » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:04 pm

I figured this out already, but thanks for the documentation. I think other Pivot users will be very happy with this.
gwbonline

Return to 2.x Support Forum