So why am I using PivotX?

Use this forum to make posts not related to PivotX. Do you use a tool that someone else might like or need to test something like your signature or some bbcode? This is the right place for you! Spamming will not be tolerated.

Re: So why am I using PivotX?

Postby StefanW » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:46 pm

Off Topic but you can find po files here: http://pivot-weblog.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pivot-weblog/trunk/pivot/langs/
Get something like poedit http://www.poedit.net/ is a handy tool to ... edit po files. Simple and quick.

I don´t know WP. I found pivot looking for a blog software that supported flat files, i had no database support in that days.
A websoftware you can run on a database of pure text files is simple and complex both at the same time. It is portable flexible and intelligent. I like that.
If you look at the backend of pivotx this concentration on "what is needed" can be found again.
I run websites for friends, artists and handcraft people. They are not in the web business at all. If i show them the pivot backend, even those people can at least imagine to create an article by themselves. Thats a lot. (Try that with typo3 :-)
"there is no automatism in communication that creates sense"
StefanW

Postby hansfn » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:14 pm

Thx for answering smile, Stefan. I just wanted to add that this is documented - see the translations page in the wiki - and that the po files aren't included in the zip files to keep the file size small(er).
hansfn
Developer

Postby smile » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:10 pm

Thanks StefanW and hansfn. I thought that the languages files were not accessible any more. That was one of the things I always liked about Pivot. :)
smile

Postby lulu » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:46 pm

:D Hey there, I'm still around! Haven't really begun to use PX just yet, but that is b/c I am trying to finish up certain other projects in order to free up some time to work with the new "toy." Wanted to leave a note here, noticed that this thread was still active and decided that was as good a spot as any.

I'm using PX (after installing Dreadwind earlier but then, not using it, since it was recc'd that I go right on to install X) because I'd read somewhere that it's tons better than Wordpress. OK, I do use WP but I'm gonna see for myself how they stack up against each other. *Has a funny mental image of the two blogwares giving each other the eye and then exchanging fisticuffs! Pow! Biff!* Somewhere on this thread, a Khevor (I think?) was saying the WP themes were convoluted enough to drive a person to drink. I agree! I also agree about what he (or someone) indicated that with most of their themes, there was always some sort of niggling little problem....oh yearh!! I can totally relate!!! There are thousands of admittedly beautiful WP themes out there, and some of them really do function well for me. But many do not!

And this begs an OT question I've been meaning to ask...how and where does one import WP files to PX? Once I'm finished with certain pages "over there," I'll be ready to try... 8-)

lulu
lulu

Postby Schop » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:51 pm

lulu wrote:how and where does one import WP files to PX?

If you want to import your WordPress posts and stuff, the answer is here: http://book.pivotx.net/page/4-2

If you're trying to convert a WordPress theme to PivotX, the answer is slightly longer. I'm actually in the process of doing a tutorial on my blog on how to do this, but it's a lot of work to write it so everybody understands it, so you'll have to wait some time before that is published...
Schop
Contributor

Previous

Return to The Drain