PivotX and Dreamhost

Discuss PivotX 2.0.x here. Non-PivotX related discussions go in The Drain.

PivotX and Dreamhost

Postby Stark Raving » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:32 pm

Just wondering if anyone else has had or is having this problem. Dreamhost switched my space to a new server. Now all my PivotX installations act as if they are new installations. Entries (except the originals that come with PivotX) are gone, as are the pages, the catagories, and even the weblog settings have been returned to their original state. I don't know if this was caused by the Dreamhost server switch or not. It's affected all the sites that I use PivotX on except one.

The Dreamhost notification said:
If a website isn't working, please make sure you don't have anything like "/home/.SOMETHING/username" in any of your sites' scripts. Instead, it should just be "/home/username". If your site brings up an error with something between /home/ and /username/, then the path in one of your configuration files is incorrect and will need to be updated.

Well, that's ripe. I contacted Dreamhost, but the response was to contact PivotX. Hmmm.

Any suggestions? Would someone like to take an "internal" look? I can send logins for one or more of the sites affected.

Thank you.
"After I'm dead I would rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one." ~ Cato the Elder

"In heaven all the interesting people are missing." ~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Stark Raving
Silver Sponsor

Re: PivotX and Dreamhost

Postby hansfn » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:08 am

You left out a vital piece of information -flat file or mysql database? Assuming you have use flat file, the entries should be safely located in the pivotx/db/standard-00X00 folders. If the change Dreamhost did has wiped those directories, there is nothing PivotX can do. (I find it very unlikely that the entries are gone, by the way.)

Yes, I would very much like to take a look inside since Dreamhost is one of the bigger hosts and PivtoX should work there ...
hansfn
Developer

Postby Stark Raving » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:48 pm

Hans,

MySql. I will pm info. Thank you.
"After I'm dead I would rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one." ~ Cato the Elder

Stark Raving
Silver Sponsor

Postby Stark Raving » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:14 am

As you noted, Hans, the info I sent you for two of the site this morning were suddenly "fixed", back to normal. But things are not normal on the other sites, yet. I have emailed Dreamhost again to see if they have done anything. I certainly didn't. If they can't fix the other sites, I'll pm you again. Let's wait and see. No sense in wasting more of your time.

Cheers and thanks.

Stark Raving
Silver Sponsor

Postby Stark Raving » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:03 pm

Hans! I've figured it out!

When Dreamhost transferred my sites to a new server, somehow, the settings on the Configuration page reverted to the original settings on installation of PivotX. That means the site name reverted to PivotX, the database settings were set to "flat file" and not to MySql. So, I re-entered the name and the database info, and VOILA! Everything is as it should be. I don't know why this would have happened, but it did, and I've let Dreamhost know what I found out.

Thanks.

Stark Raving
Silver Sponsor

Return to 2.x Discussion