Cache refresh?

Discuss PivotX 2.0.x here. Non-PivotX related discussions go in The Drain.

Cache refresh?

Postby xzjia » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:34 pm

Hi, right now I have some question regarding the caching clearing.

One of the problems I was having is that all image thumbnails never gets refreshed when the image change, they're automatically cached and does not refresh. It always requires a manual deletion of cache, which is really quite a hassle especially if you're building a site for other people who don't know how to work FTP and file browser.

Also, I was wondering how the main page cache work, does it rebuild the cached page when a newer version is detected? Or do you have to manually delete cached pages too?
xzjia

Re: Cache refresh?

Postby hansfn » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:19 pm

When you talk about image thumbnails, I'm guessing that you are talking about images generated by includes/timthumb.php? If so, the version of timthumb.php included in PivotX does indeed not check for newer versions of the source file.

The main/Smarty cache is normally refreshed when a template, entry or page is modified. However, I know from experience that some times the refresh doesn't catch all cases.

Conclusion: We need a Cache Refresh/Empty button. Since we (the PivotX team) have discussed it earlier, I'm guessing that it will be included in PivotX 2.1.0. Right, Bob? ;-)
hansfn
Developer

Postby Bob » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:52 pm

Yup, will be implemented very soon! :-)
Bob
Lead Developer

Postby xzjia » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:00 pm

Yes, includes/timthumb.php is the one I'm talking about.

I tested the page/template cache by changing the page content, it updates fine, though it takes a bit of time to replace the old page with new page, but definitely not a big problem.

Cache Refresh/Empty button will be great especially for testing purposes, but if the includes/timthumb.php can detect updated / changed source image just like the main cache it'll be one less headache to deal with by the non-tech savvy people.
xzjia

Postby hansfn » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:28 pm

You might consider checking out that with the timthumb developer - http://code.google.com/p/timthumb/
hansfn
Developer

Postby Bob » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:38 pm

I made an 'Empty cache' option. It'll be available in PivotX 2.1.0.

You'll find it under Administration > Maintenance > Empty Cache
Bob
Lead Developer

Return to 2.x Discussion