multilanguage website

Discuss PivotX 2.0.x here. Non-PivotX related discussions go in The Drain.

multilanguage website

Postby turtaf » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:22 pm

Hi guys, I'm completely new to pivotX.

I'm looking for a flat-file cms for building a site for a no-profit association of a friend of mine.

He'd like to have all the pages in 2 different languages (the typical two or more banners on some top corner)

Do you think it is possible with PivotX? Maybe with some esxtension?

I already did some search in the forum and found nothing but this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89&p=3168&hilit=languages#p3168 but it didn't clarify this point to me.

I hope this is possible as I think it'll be fun to learn this peace of software.

Thanks in advance

turtaf
turtaf

Re: multilanguage website

Postby Harm10 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:06 pm

This one is also about a multi-language site http://forum.pivotx.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1159&start=10
Maybe you'll find some useful information there.....
Quality is in the detail of things............

Want to change or update your PivotX site? Mail or PM me!
I can also convert your site to a Wordpress site!
Harm10
Developer

Postby turtaf » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:01 am

thanks a lot, this link is very interesting, but it's for automatic switching language according to the one of the browser.
The site is already like this, you choose the language on the first page, but maintenance is a pain in the eye, because it's exactly like maintaining two sites...that's why we want to change it...

Cheers
turtaf

Postby hansfn » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:52 am

What exactly in the thread you pointed to was unclear - you create one chapter for each language. Then create one weblog for each language - you can select the language used in the weblog config. In the weblog frontpage template you can use [[pagelist]] to only list the pages for the chapter you want. (You need a different frontpage template for each weblog to make this work.) In addition you can create one category for each language and make the weblogs publish that category (if you want to write entries in stead of pages) - set the category in the subweblog tag of the weblog config.

This should get you going - just play around ...
hansfn
Developer

Postby turtaf » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:29 pm

Thanks a lot, I'll give it a try.

Does anyone maybe know of some multilingual site (a site with contents in two or more languages) built on PivotX ? Is there some showcase of the site made with PivotX?

Thanks a lot
turtaf

Postby hansfn » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:48 pm

There was a site in the thread Harm10 pointed to - http://profingreen.com/
hansfn
Developer

Postby kabaal » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:08 am

I've made an extension( Weblog-Menus extension (for Multi-Lingual Website support) ), that you can use for multi-lingual support. The main idea is that you name your chapters in a specific way: [weblog][separator][chaptername] and that you use the extension to get chapters for the current weblog. It's easy to use, you'd only have to make chapters like "en_Home", "en_Contact", "nl_Home", "nl_Kontakt opnemen", and use a tag to generate a menu. I've included styles for horizontal and vertical menus, and it's pretty easy to use..

We, that is, hansfn and I, have also been discussing options on putting it into the core of PivotX, which I personally think would be a great new feature, you can read about it here: Multi-Lingual Website support. When hansfn comes back from his holidays, we can see where things will be going :-).

Take care now!
JDT - Only trying to help...
kabaal

Postby streeff » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:27 pm

hansfn wrote:There was a site in the thread Harm10 pointed to - http://profingreen.com/

Frankly, building Profingreen.com has been so much work that I would not recommend this as the way to go.
Evert Albers, Streeff - web // branding // information design - Amersfoort & Amsterdam, NL
Site: http://www.streeff.nl
streeff

Postby Bob » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:33 pm

We (at Two Kings) are working on an extension to easily make multi-language websites. It'll be released in a few weeks.
Bob
Lead Developer

Postby hansfn » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:17 pm

Great news, Bob.

PS! I still think that using the Hierarchical Menus extension and language weblogs as I described in my post in the Multi-Lingual Website support forum thread is quite easy, and the result is OK - ref http://pivotx.net/sandbox/multi-lingual/
hansfn
Developer

Next

Return to 2.x Discussion