Dashboard News & Forum posts

Discuss PivotX 2.0.x here. Non-PivotX related discussions go in The Drain.

Dashboard News & Forum posts

Postby Schop » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:30 pm

Just a suggestion: I think it would be nice to have advanced configuration options to hide the PivotX News and the Forum Posts from the dashboard. I see in the code that there is a possibility to hide the welcome message ($config.hide_dashboard_welcome) and the quick links ($config.hide_dashboard_quicklinks), so why not for the other items?
Schop
Contributor

Re: Dashboard News & Forum posts

Postby jadwigo » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:42 pm

One simple reason - when you log in to your pivotx and see the dashboard you're forced to see security and system updates...
That way we can say to users that they *should* have known about any system updates when something went wrong

And to get people to the forum
My pivotx playground is at http://jivotx.twokings.eu - the rest is at http://www.jadwigo.nl
jadwigo
Developer

Postby Schop » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:03 pm

jadwigo wrote:One simple reason - when you log in to your pivotx and see the dashboard you're forced to see security and system updates...
That way we can say to users that they *should* have known about any system updates when something went wrong

And to get people to the forum

Right, but if the admin decides he's ok not seeing those warnings, shouldn't he have that option? I'm not saying it should be a standard configurable option, but there should be a variable in the 'advanced configuration' IMHO. Another argument would be that 'Security and system updates' would probably not make much sense to the average user, and are meant to be seen by the system administrator.

For a website I'm making for a group of people, these warnings and forum posts are just confusing...
Schop
Contributor

Postby Harm10 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:31 pm

Schop wrote:For a website I'm making for a group of people, these warnings and forum posts are just confusing...
I agree. So lets make this option available in such a way that the average user doesn't have to see it.
Quality is in the detail of things............

Want to change or update your PivotX site? Mail or PM me!
I can also convert your site to a Wordpress site!
Harm10
Developer

Postby hansfn » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:30 am

Quick comments:
  1. Harm, you shouldn't promise such things before you have discussed it with the team. (I'm not saying that I disagree.)
  2. The things that can be hidden on the dashboard is documented - see our documentation. In addition to the two config settings already mentioned above, hide_dashboard_quicklinks and hide_dashboard_welcome, there is hide_forumposts.
  3. You can hide almost everything in the right column on the dashboard with some CSS simple (without changing the config). Just add

Code: Select all
    div.homerightcolumn div.news { display: none; }

in templates_internal/assets/pivotx.css

PS! The (security) warnings should never be hidden - the issues should be fixed. Those warnings stopped an attack on pivotx.net itself once ...
hansfn
Developer

Postby Harm10 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:46 am

hansfn wrote:Harm, you shouldn't promise such things before you have discussed it with the team. (I'm not saying that I disagree.)
I was merely stating that I agree with this request as a user of PivotX. Although I am involved in the developmentteam, I don't consider myself as such. In the future I'll make myself more clear............... ;)
Quality is in the detail of things............

Want to change or update your PivotX site? Mail or PM me!
I can also convert your site to a Wordpress site!
Harm10
Developer

Return to 2.x Discussion