Old Pivot Tags

Discuss PivotX 2.0.x here. Non-PivotX related discussions go in The Drain.

Old Pivot Tags

Postby sRc » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:29 pm

This is really more of a comment and not the bug I was trying to track down to post (which hasn't reappeared yet), but I've had come up several times oddities on my site resulting from the old Pivot template tags still working in PivotX, but apparently not supported (and the source of a couple of my bugs before). when I had originally converted my templates the template tag listing was incomplete so I left in some old tags that still seemed to work whenever applicable, but acting strangely (especially with output caching like I always use).

the latest one I've noticed is the word count on my entries, using the old "[[entry_data:words]]" template tag. this particular one had actually worked for a while and a number of stable PivotX builds in cached mode, only sometime recently has it seemed to just store one number which it displays on every page. really what I would like to see is some sort of solid deprecation of these old tags or something, instead of just hangining them around somewhere in the back where they still work but not as expected because they're old and forgotten. at least some sort of list of tags that for sure aren't being developed on anymore so I can search and update my templates accordingly
sRc

Re: Old Pivot Tags

Postby Bob » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:41 am

When we first made the change from the old to new style comments ( ie. [[tag:parameter]] to [[ tag parameter="foo" parameter="bar" ]] ), we treid to make all tags backwards compatible. Some might still work, some won't, and i'm not sure if it's feasible to make a list of old tags and how much they're still supported.
I don't think it's a good idea to deprecate them altogether, because there are a _lot_ of people who have tons of old entries riddled with [[image:bla:bla]] tags.

You can review your templates, and fix all tags that look like [[tag:parameter]]. Also, if a tag isn't listed here, it's deprecated: http://book.pivotx.net/page/app-b
Bob
Lead Developer

Return to 2.x Discussion