User names length and hyphens/underscores

Discuss PivotX 2.0.x here. Non-PivotX related discussions go in The Drain.

User names length and hyphens/underscores

Postby Marza » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:12 am

PivotX only accepts user names with a maximum of 20 characters. Would it be possible to allow for more characters? On a multiple user weblog, using firstname_lastname is an obvious choice, and unfortunately our users parents didn't all take the requirements for name length in account while naming their children...

In the info for adding user names, it is stated that only alphanumerical characters and underscores are allowed. In reality underscores aren't allowed, hypens are. Or is this mistake made in the Dutch translation only?
Marza

Re: User names length and hyphens/underscores

Postby Harm10 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:31 am

Marza wrote:In the info for adding user names, it is stated that only alphanumerical characters and underscores are allowed. In reality underscores aren't allowed, hypens are. Or is this mistake made in the Dutch translation only?
The underscores bit is also in the original english line so has to be changed in there first (I'll leave that to the next larger update); the translation contains an error in the fact that the dutch line states that capitals are also allowed which they aren't (I'll update that bit).

About the length of the userid I can't comment because I can't oversee the effects if it would be enlarged. The experts will comment on this.
Quality is in the detail of things............

Want to change or update your PivotX site? Mail or PM me!
I can also convert your site to a Wordpress site!
Harm10
Developer

Re: User names length and hyphens/underscores

Postby hansfn » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:55 pm

The users are stored as a serialized PHP array in the file ser_users.php so there is no technical reason stopping us from increasing it - except that it has to be done in several locations in the code. (The length limit of 20 characters is completely arbitrary.)
hansfn
Developer

Return to 2.x Discussion