OpenID

Discuss PivotX 2.0.x here. Non-PivotX related discussions go in The Drain.

OpenID

Postby marius » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:33 am

Will PivotX support OpenID?
(Or perhaps this forum?)
marius

Re: OpenID

Postby Bob » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:12 pm

If you can explain in plain, common terms what the average user has to benefit from OpenID integration, we'll take it into consideration. ;-)
Bob
Lead Developer

Postby marius » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:09 pm

The first sentence from the website:
OpenID is a free and easy way to use a single digital identity across the Internet.

That means: one account for Flickr, Yahoo, Blogger, Technorati, Wordpress and some others already. More providers of on-line services may follow (Google?). One password, instead of... how many do I have actually? Ten? Twenty? Maybe more. OpenID may reduce that to just one.

It may be applied as login for the PivotX backend (I don't know how this works out for security, but there is some technical documentation that you guys will probably understand), but a more interesting application for PivotX may be for the account/settings of visitors/users of PivotX weblogs. They don't have to register anymore in order to comment with their account, because they already have one.

Is this plain enough? :)

For website owners the advantage may be that there is one shared avatar or other such user information associated with the account (age, real name, mail address) that may be usefull.
Last edited by marius on Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marius

Postby marius » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:11 pm

Hmmm, that sounds an awfull lot like an advertisement...
marius

Postby hansfn » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:31 pm

Slightly off-topic: I have already written an extension for Pivot enabling people to use OpenID when commenting.

I intend to write an OpenID login for the backend of PivotX when/if I get time.

PS! OpenID is great, but can be really insecure (because of the way it works). And then if someone gets to your OpenID, they can access all your accounts. (OK, this is obvious - sorry.) But if you only use it for non-critical accounts, it's OK. Personally use OpenID some and tools like Clipperz and Passpack some (to keep track of my accounts and generated strong passwords).
hansfn
Developer

Postby Bob » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:36 pm

The problem with OpenID is, that a lot of parties want to be an openid provider, but not allow you to access your accounts with them with other openid's.. Yahoo for instance, tells me they use openid, but i have to log on to flickr with *their* openid. I can't use the openid from another provider. The same goes for blogger. I can't log in to blogger with my yahoo account. This is really, really confusing and annoying to most people.

Another example. Let's say i wish to log into my popurls.com account. I'll post some screenshots of the process:

First, i'll go to popurls.com, and i click on the login button..
Picture 1.png
Picture 1.png (20.39 KiB) Viewed 12329 times

Then, i have to type my openid into the box, and click the button:
Picture 2.png
Picture 2.png (22.36 KiB) Viewed 12330 times

Then, for some reason, i have to click this button:
Picture 3.png
Picture 3.png (15.22 KiB) Viewed 12330 times

Then, i have to log in at OpenId:
Picture 4.png
Picture 4.png (36.75 KiB) Viewed 12329 times

Next i see this screen, full of options and stuff i do not need:
Picture 5.png
Picture 5.png (55.64 KiB) Viewed 12329 times

there's three buttons at the bottom. I usually click the 'allow forever', even though i know I WILL GET THE SAME FRICKING SCREEN everytime I log in. Seriously, why does it keep asking me this same stupid question? :-(

After that I finally get returned to my customized popurls screen. The whole proces took 5 screens and 5 clicks..

Now, if I go to netvibes.com, I get the chance to type in my username and password, I click one single button, and I am logged in straight away. So, honestly, which one of these do you think most people prefer?

I know, in theory OpenId is awesome. Unfortunately in practice it is rubbish, and i don't think this will change anytime soon.
Bob
Lead Developer

Postby marius » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:06 pm

Interesting.

On SF.net you just paste the URL and you're in. However, you can not take your old user account with you and have to create a new one.

So I would agree that it is as useless as you sketched above. Too bad. Perhaps for PivotY :D .

Edit: Perhaps some sort of visitors database could be made that allows visitors of PivotX weblogs to use just one PivotX account for posting comments on all PivotX weblogs? If you can't join them... beat em! Ah, who will pay for such a server...

Edit: I mentioned Google earlier, they already have some sort of authentication API that is available for third parties: http://code.google.com/apis/accounts/index.html
marius

Postby Bob » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:32 pm

marius wrote:On SF.net you just paste the URL and you're in. However, you can not take your old user account with you and have to create a new one.

Wow.. So you have to actually make a new account, just so you can use your openid account. I, just, wow.. That's so stupid, and completely besides the point.

Edit: Perhaps some sort of visitors database could be made that allows visitors of PivotX weblogs to use just one PivotX account for posting comments on all PivotX weblogs? If you can't join them... beat em! Ah, who will pay for such a server...

Ok, this i could see happen, sometime.

Edit: I mentioned Google earlier, they already have some sort of authentication API that is available for third parties: http://code.google.com/apis/accounts/index.html

When google rules the world, all you'll need is your gAccount anyhow. ;-)
Bob
Lead Developer

Postby Bob » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:40 pm

Oh, and here's some articles i found interesting:

http://irei.wordpress.com/2007/10/19/openid-sucks/
http://warpspire.com/features/open-id/

I think this boils down to the same reason why i really hate Trackback: Technologically speaking it's a good idea, without thinking about whether people actually need this. Like somebody says in the comments in the linked threads: "You’ve made an excellent case for the technology but little case for the practical use and implementation."
Bob
Lead Developer

Postby hansfn » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:33 pm

I understand it's bashing OpenID time :D but we should get the facts right. It's dead-easy to associate an OpenID account with an existing account on SourceForge - just visit https://sourceforge.net/account/openid.php I can for example use hansfn.myopenid.com to login to my account hansfn (which I have add since 2000-03-24).
hansfn
Developer

Next

Return to 2.x Discussion